Headlight level/height adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, any advice on headlight adjustments. I searched the forum but came up with nothing.

My fairly new to me 2011 LR4 headlight does not seem great but I think it is set up too low. If fact I drove over Berthod Pass the other night and needed to use my high beams just to see okay. Turning them on and off with other traffic in front of me and coming at me. Then I tried leaving them on and only got flashed by around 1 in 8-10 cars when I had my high beams on. So I'm thinking the entire headlight assembly is aimed too low.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Shred

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, any advice on headlight adjustments. I searched the forum but came up with nothing.

My fairly new to me 2011 LR4 headlight does not seem great but I think it is set up too low. If fact I drove over Berthod Pass the other night and needed to use my high beams just to see okay. Turning them on and off with other traffic in front of me and coming at me. Then I tried leaving them on and only got flashed by around 1 in 8-10 cars when I had my high beams on. So I'm thinking the entire headlight assembly is aimed too low.
Shred

Take the number of cars that flashed you and multiply by 3 to get the number of people you annoyed by driving with your brights on and you'll get a better feel.

Your headlights would have to be almost aimed into the ground for the brights to not shine into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Has you car ever been in a collision that damaged the front end?

Use this to determine whether your headlights are aimed correctly:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Do you have halogens or HID lights?

If halogens, the H9 conversion will give you brighter light. If HID, perhaps your bulbs are prematurely dimming.

Last edited:

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey ryanjl, no sign of the car ever being in a collision but that is possible I suppose. The lights are the halogen projector beams and while they are not pointed at the ground they just dont seem like they are throwing the light way out there on low beam. Thanks for the info and the link. Any more info on the H9 conversion you are talking about? Thanks, -shred

Ladric

Reaction score

Shred

Did you figure out how to do that?
I have a 2011 and I see an access hole on eaither side but my guess its the left/right adjustment not the up/down.
I have my truck lifted 2" so I need to bring the lights up a bit also.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the H9 bulb upgrade. The 65 watt bulbs are much better than the eom 50 or 55w bulbs. The modification to the bulb's plug is super easy but they seem to only last about a year. I never touched the alignment adjustment and bulb upgrade did the trick.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Old thread but I am having the same issue where my low beam headlights are so dim they are useless. I have adjusted the level laterally with the Allen key adjustment, but really it’s a vertical up and down that I can’t fix. Is there a low beam vertical adjustment?

There is a dead spot right where I need the light. It seems only the high beam adjustment is vertical, go figure.

I can’t use the H9s as I have the xenon D3S’s in there. Can anyone recommend a bulb? I don’t care if it’s led but I want something that I can see with. My friend tried led xenon replacements in his 2010 RRS but they kept frying so he gave up.

Right now I have to use my fogs to supplement my low beams.

Thanks!

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Old thread but I am having the same issue where my low beam headlights are so dim they are useless. I have adjusted the level laterally with the Allen key adjustment, but really it’s a vertical up and down that I can’t fix. Is there a low beam vertical adjustment?

There is a dead spot right where I need the light. It seems only the high beam adjustment is vertical, go figure.

I can’t use the H9s as I have the xenon D3S’s in there. Can anyone recommend a bulb? I don’t care if it’s led but I want something that I can see with. My friend tried led xenon replacements in his 2010 RRS but they kept frying so he gave up.

Right now I have to use my fogs to supplement my low beams.

Thanks!

Just to confirm, you have the xenon housings, correct? Not a set of halogen housings with a xenon conversation kit ?

I had an HSE with the halogen but installed the headlights from a lux to get the Xenon, and it was worlds better. Lights should have both horizontal and vertical adjustments, and my experience was that both low and high beams moved together -- IE there's no separate high beam vs low beam adjustment, to the best of my knowledge.

These two white knobs are the adjusters. I forget which is horiz vs vertical. Neither raises the low beam ?
lr4.png

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xenon - I have a 2013 HSE Lux. Only option I don’t have is surround camera.

So the inner knob controls the low beam left to right. I can actually watch it move. The outter knob controls high beam up and down. I can move the outter one all day the low beam does not move at all.

You’re telling me that ANY of knobs actually moves your low beam up and down?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xenon - I have a 2013 HSE Lux. Only option I don’t have is surround camera.

So the inner knob controls the low beam left to right. I can actually watch it move. The outter knob controls high beam up and down. I can move the outter one all day the low beam does not move at all.

You’re telling me that ANY of knobs actually moves your low beam up and down?

Yes, pointed the car at my garage door, made a note of where the cutoff was, then turned the adjuster to raise it. It moved.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok this makes a lot more sense. My left low beam has always beam a bit lower than my right low beam. I also think my high beams are Amed too high. I’ll let you guys be the judge of that because maybe this is normal. I have a 2010 HSE LUX with the Bi-Xenon lights

7206FDA5-03A7-4CA5-B52E-5C17613DEE3C.jpeg

DB3AB475-ACB4-468D-86F1-D8343B713E2E.jpeg

1064A519-8833-413C-B861-9C1E189B8443.jpeg

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member