Headlight level/height adjustment

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Shredahead, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Shredahead

Shredahead Full Access Member

Hey there, any advice on headlight adjustments. I searched the forum but came up with nothing.

My fairly new to me 2011 LR4 headlight does not seem great but I think it is set up too low. If fact I drove over Berthod Pass the other night and needed to use my high beams just to see okay. Turning them on and off with other traffic in front of me and coming at me. Then I tried leaving them on and only got flashed by around 1 in 8-10 cars when I had my high beams on. So I'm thinking the entire headlight assembly is aimed too low.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    Shred

2. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

Take the number of cars that flashed you and multiply by 3 to get the number of people you annoyed by driving with your brights on and you'll get a better feel.

Your headlights would have to be almost aimed into the ground for the brights to not shine into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Has you car ever been in a collision that damaged the front end?

Use this to determine whether your headlights are aimed correctly:
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Do you have halogens or HID lights?

If halogens, the H9 conversion will give you brighter light. If HID, perhaps your bulbs are prematurely dimming.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Shredahead

hey ryanjl, no sign of the car ever being in a collision but that is possible I suppose. The lights are the halogen projector beams and while they are not pointed at the ground they just dont seem like they are throwing the light way out there on low beam. Thanks for the info and the link. Any more info on the H9 conversion you are talking about? Thanks, -shred

4. Ladric

Ladric Member

Did you figure out how to do that?
    I have a 2011 and I see an access hole on eaither side but my guess its the left/right adjustment not the up/down.
    I have my truck lifted 2" so I need to bring the lights up a bit also.

5. Shredahead

Do the H9 bulb upgrade. The 65 watt bulbs are much better than the eom 50 or 55w bulbs. The modification to the bulb's plug is super easy but they seem to only last about a year. I never touched the alignment adjustment and bulb upgrade did the trick.