Headliner Falling down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had their headliner start to come unglued? I just noticed that mine is starting to come off in the area of the second row seat grab handles. I have had to replace the headliner on every car that I have owned in SoFla. One would think that LR's would tolerate the heat and humidity. I guess not, I replaced the dash pad last year.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headliner Update

It took about two months from when I first noticed the headliner loose in a couple of places to it coming undone in all of the deeply recessed areas. The headliner came loose in the area under the sunvisors, around the grab handles, in the corners above the third row seats and on the edge around the rear lift gate. Time constraints and a casual judge of the complexity of gluing in a new liner in the complex shape of the LR3 led me too look for a professional to do the job.

As luck would have it, I was delivering my daughter to college in Orlando near the shop of Headliner Express. Unfortunately for us LR3 owners, Bill, the owner of the shop is starting to see LR3's in addition to the thriving business he does on DII's and RR's.

My LR3 is an 05 that was built in Feb of 05 and I took delivery in Nov 05. The Java black vehicle is stored outside and I live in south Fl. No doubt those environmental factors contributed to the early demise of my headliner.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the headliner is glued. I think its held up with trim clips. Perhaps these clips have failed and renewing them would solve your issue.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good update thanks

Good to hear. But that sucks though. After the headliner fell in 2007 or so on my 2003 Discovery II SE AND I saw a Range Rover Sport at the dealer with a failing headliner taken out (!!!!)... I am expecting this on my 05 LR3 HSE as well.

Also -- the headliner is just like any other car. Fabric glued to a backing board. The clips are what hold the backing board up to the top / roof of the car.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the glue has failed not the clips?

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep -- its the glue that's failed

Yep -- it's the glue that failed... unfortunately

Reaction score
This was from age and heat! Has nothing to do with the Adhesive

Last edited:
Reaction score
No That's not Correct

The Foam Backing behind the Cloth is whats failed from age and heat!

The Headliner Material is made up of 2 parts.

1st The Cloth is a 1/16th of inch thick like that of a piece of paper yet pours like a sponge

2nd the Foam Backing is an 1/8th inch in thickness, When the Foam Backing becomes (5-8 Years of Age) the Foam Backing becomes a powder form and the cloth falls away from the foam.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this going to be a problem for everyone at some point? Even thos of us that live in climates that have both heat and cold? I also leave my truck in the garage most of the time and don't drive it, (haven't driven it since Sunday).

I have owned a lot of cars over the years and not had any issues with headliners. Is this more specific to Land Rovers?

Thanks,

Rob

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen in my 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer when I was living in CA 11 years ago. When I pulled the headliner cloth material off that's what I discovered, powdery foam. I scraped it all off and using a spray glue adhesive I attached a new piece of cloth to the cardboard.
I figured it was a defect of Jeep or my particular truck but now it sounds like a more common problem. What's the best way to fix this and how difficult is it?

Side note, I have a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe and have never had this problem with it - the headliner is still like new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV