Heated windshield not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the first cold season Ive had with my LR4 and the heated windshield is not working.

The button light on the dash illuminates when pressed, and there are no relevant errors (scanned with IID tool), but the frost is definitely not melting away.

If it matters, it is not OEM glass...so its been replaced at some point (before my ownership). i forget the brand, but its not Pilkington. id does have the heating elements in the glass though.

any suggestions?
common problems?
fuses, modules, or harnesses to check?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, the ribbon harness is behind the driver side a pillar. Maybe it was not reattached when the windshield was replaced. I also remember reading that the 30A fuses (there are two) should be upgraded to 40A.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, the ribbon harness is behind the driver side a pillar. Maybe it was not reattached when the windshield was replaced. I also remember reading that the 30A fuses (there are two) should be upgraded to 40A.

thank you.
ill give these things a look over.

anyone else care to chime in?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall that someone else here had a problem with a Fuyao heated windshield blowing fuses. Something about the thicker heating element lines drawing too much power.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in the engine bay passenger side for blown fuses. Uprate to 40A and see if that helps. My passenger side blows the fuse right away so I know I have a short in the wiring but I will deal with it next time they pull the windshield. IMO running the 40A is a little risky as my fuse box looks a little melted where the 40A blew. The other option is they didn't plug the windshield in when it was replaced.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm I have a Fayao.. The driver side is OK but passenger blows fuses.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall that someone else here had a problem with a Fuyao heated windshield blowing fuses. Something about the thicker heating element lines drawing too much power.

this is the brand of my glass!

ill check fuses first, and change to 40amp, regardless.
if it still doesn't work, ill check the A pillar wiring connections.
with any luck, i dont have to dig any deeper than that.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago. Once of the nicks in my original windshield finally formed into a long crack.

I used the shop my Land Rover dealer told me they send their vehicles to. I had the option between aftermarket or OEM. Aftermarket could be done the next day, but OEM was looking like a 5 week wait or so. OEM was also about twice as much.

I rolled the dice and went aftermarket. Looks like they used PGW. Only one frosty morning since then. Could be just me, but it seems like the heated screen takes a few seconds longer to really work, but when it works, it works as good or better than OEM.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the brand of my glass!

ill check fuses first, and change to 40amp, regardless.
if it still doesn't work, ill check the A pillar wiring connections.
with any luck, i dont have to dig any deeper than that.

look for wiring short in a pillar

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
following the advice in this thread, and the information in another once ( https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/heated-windshields.25207/ )....

i checked my fuses last night and both are blown. combined with the fact that i have an aftermarket windshield, which apparently pulls more amps, i am assuming upgrading to 40a fuses will be the fix.

unfortunately, 40a mini fuses are not available locally. seems mini fuses are only "common" up to 30a. currently waiting on amazon to deliver fuses to me.

with that said...does anyone get concerned that the wiring size was designed for 30amps, but the fix increases that? should we be concerned of melting any wiring?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV