Heated windshields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week, I travelled to Utah and after a storm, used, for perhaps the first time, my heated front and rear windshields. It doesn't get much use in San Diego!

The rear windshield worked as I expected.

On the front windshield, only the drivers side worked. Exactly one half of the windshield heated, the other half did not. Has anyone else experienced this?

Are there heating elements on the 3rd row side windows, or is that part of the antennae? (which would explain why it didn't defrost the windows! :smile: )

Sadly, it didn't dump enough to give the LR4 the workout in the snow that I have been craving!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have the drivers side ice over. Can never seem to figure out why.

Also, when moving and in icing conditions, I don't think the heated windshield is doing a lot. Still very easy to ice over. I assume since the light stays one for several minutes that its working and doing something, but when its below zero F and going 40+ mph, it doesnt get very 'warm'. I assume its just a feature to get ice off after startup, before you start moving... but thats lame. I'd rather have a clear windshield than deal with the lines all the time if that is all its good for.

Someone go figure out a mod to turn those damn things red hot... get some real heat in there.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if the heated windshield doesn't work that well, how well do the standard defrosters work? Would you be just as well off without using the heated windshield? I don't like the look of the wire mesh. I would definitely pass on the heated windshield but I don't know how to do that without losing the heated seats.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen in reverse. Took it into the shop and it was a bad ground. Easy 5 min fix.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just because I have not had a chance to experience this, does the heated windshield work well? Heat up hot enough that you don't have you have the front defroster on full blast to keep the windshield warm when in snowy/icy conditions?

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, sadly, i never drove the car while it was snowing, so it was only really used when i warmed up the car in the morning. The standard defrosters worked fine and the car was ready to go fairly quickly, but the side of the windshield that did have the heating element working was clear of ice and frost much quicker. Not a big deal, but it was noticeable.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace the fuses. I can take a pic but my pass side came non working from the factory, replaced the fuse and works very well. I suspect you have a similar issue. The dealer is now swapping in 40A busman fuses instead of the 30A. Seems to be a known issue in icy climates.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the front defroster even at a low setting, the windshield stays clear even in bad weather. The heated lines alone wont do it, but with a little defrost (not max!) its just fine.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Fuse issue, most likely. See my post on it below of the bulletin info.

The heated windshield is, by far, the most appealing feature of the LR3/LR4 to me. Living in the mid-Atlantic, I can't tell you how nice it is to turn on the car, hit a button and watch the ice on the windshield melt in under 5 minutes. It's also a pleasure to not have to run the blower defroster in snow storms to keep the window clear. It should be mandatory in all cars. ;-)

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25093

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reference SSM62417
Models Range Rover Sport / L320
LR4 / L319
Title Heated Front Screen does not demist/ clear
Category Electrical
Last modified 23-Jan-2013 00:00:00
Symptom 205000 Electrical Accessories
Content

Issue: A customer may report that the Heated Front Screen does not demist/ clear when selected on 12/13MY only LR4/Discovery 4/ Range Rover Sport

Cause: The Heated Front Screen fuses located in the engine compartment fuse box may be inoperative. The fuse value will shortly be increased to a 40amp rating for both Heated Front Screen fuses.

Action: If any of the Heated Front Screen fuses are found to be inoperative and following circuit tests there does not appear to be an issue with the electrical wiring, fit 2 new 40amp rated fuses and re-check the operation of the Heated Front Screen. If it now operates correctly leave the 40Amp fuses in place otherwise continue with diagnosis as guided by Symptom Driven Diagnostics.

A Technical Service Bulletin will be launched shortly, detailing a service kit containing 2x 40amp and associated fuse box label. In the meantime fit the fuses only part number LR030046.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV