Hello from a new LR4 owner in San Diego, Ca

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dortmunder

Reaction score
Hello
Somewhat new to the Land Rover world and new to the LR forum. I just finished leasing a 2016 Ranger Rover, turned her back in after 3 yr lease and decided to stay with Land Rover and bought a 2013 LR4 HSE. The Rover was a daily commuter and being a lease with no plans to keep it, I could not get too aggressive with the car as far as trails and off road. I do plan on having some fun with this LR4 I picked up. Good to meet everyone, lots of very useful information in here in the 2 days I have been a member on here.

Regards
George

IMG-3025.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking rover.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!
I think you're going to enjoy your LR4 a whole lot more than your previous Range Rover. The LR4 is one of the best vehicles that Land Rover ever made, and is fast becoming a modern classic...(particularly the LR4s outfitted with the 5.0L V8 engine, imo).

Enjoy going... Above and Beyond. [emoji1783]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello
Somewhat new to the Land Rover world and new to the LR forum. I just finished leasing a 2016 Ranger Rover, turned her back in after 3 yr lease and decided to stay with Land Rover and bought a 2013 LR4 HSE. The Rover was a daily commuter and being a lease with no plans to keep it, I could not get too aggressive with the car as far as trails and off road. I do plan on having some fun with this LR4 I picked up. Good to meet everyone, lots of very useful information in here in the 2 days I have been a member on here.

Regards
George

View attachment 11549
[mention]Dortmunder [/mention] Welcome to the forum and to LR4 land. You and I have the same truck. Mine is the best vehicle I've ever owned - in terms of the mix of comfort on highway as well as off-road capability. You might want to check out some of the posts I've written on the age-old question of tires and wheels for the LR4. Or scour the forum for the million threads on this subject.

I feel like there should be a welcome package that all second hand LR4 owners get.

1. You'll love this truck if you properly maintain it
2. Find a great independent mechanic who will keep it running forever. Dealers are not generally well-loved or used unless you have a warranty that's covering something still.
3. Pre-emptively replace the water coolant crossover pipes. It's $1000USD job (at an independent mechanic) that saves you a $24K engine job later if they catastrophically fail.
4. Change the oil every 7500 miles, not every 15K miles like LR says.
5. There are very few good quality off-road tires (or any tires for that matter) in 19" so off-roaders generally swap down to 18" wheels and soft-roaders sometimes stick with the 19s or go to 20s but if you do, you lose a lot of sidewall so that's suboptimal for off-roading.
6. If you go for 18", your best bet are the Compomotives and Evo Corse Dakar wheels, otherwise you're getting into doing things like trimming the brake calipers.
7. Here is a box of chocolates to round out the welcome package. :)

I wrote some stuff you might enjoy reading over here on wheels and tires, my vehicle build, and a long trip I did in mine all over your neck of the woods last year. Feel free to check it out at:
https://troyangrignon.com/tag/overlanding/

I'm sure others will chime in. Enjoy the new truck and welcome again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dortmunder

Reaction score
Thank you Troy!
All very useful help. Very great info you provided. I think I am going to print this out and use it as a awesome welcome package and guide. And begin to check off number 1 thru 7.

I am in the works of replacing those crossover pipes and water pump asap in the coming week.

Thanks again for the information.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[mention]Dortmunder [/mention] Welcome to the forum and to LR4 land. You and I have the same truck. Mine is the best vehicle I've ever owned - in terms of the mix of comfort on highway as well as off-road capability. You might want to check out some of the posts I've written on the age-old question of tires and wheels for the LR4. Or scour the forum for the million threads on this subject.

I feel like there should be a welcome package that all second hand LR4 owners get.

2. Find a great independent mechanic who will keep it running forever. Dealers are not generally well-loved or used unless you have a warranty that's covering something still.
3. Pre-emptively replace the water coolant crossover pipes. It's $1000USD job (at an independent mechanic) that saves you a $24K engine job later if they catastrophically fail.
5. There are very few good quality off-road tires (or any tires for that matter) in 19" so off-roaders generally swap down to 18" wheels and soft-roaders sometimes stick with the 19s or go to 20s but if you do, you lose a lot of sidewall so that's suboptimal for off-roading.
6. If you go for 18", your best bet are the Compomotives and Evo Corse Dakar wheels, otherwise you're getting into doing things like trimming the brake calipers.
7. Here is a box of chocolates to round out the welcome package. :)

I wrote some stuff you might enjoy reading over here on wheels and tires, my vehicle build, and a long trip I did in mine all over your neck of the woods last year. Feel free to check it out at:
https://troyangrignon.com/tag/overlanding/

I'm sure others will chime in. Enjoy the new truck and welcome again.

Such a good post, Troy!
This should be stickied somewhere with a title like:

"So you've just bought your first LR4..."

[emoji106] Good stuff, mate.[emoji1690]

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Such a good post, Troy!
This should be stickied somewhere with a title like:

"So you've just bought your first LR4..."

[emoji106] Good stuff, mate.[emoji1690]

Ha, thanks.

Added a few more. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

6. Know that putting in "lift rods" has zero influence on whether a tire/wheel combo will fit. It's mostly a tire WIDTH x DIAMETER problem, not a lift issue.
7. You can go to about 31.9" diameter and still fit a tire under the truck. Above that, it will be tight fit or not fit at all.
8. If you go for 18" wheels, your best bet are the Compomotives and Evo Corse Dakar wheels, otherwise you're getting into doing things like trimming the brake calipers like I had to do to put LR3 wheels on my LR4.
9. Grab a IIDTool from Lucky8 that can read codes and help you make changes to the on-board computers. It's also great for calibrating suspension and programming new key fobs. The single-VIN version is about $500USD and will pay for itself many times over. You'll pay for it the first time you buy a new key fob and need to reprogram it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV