Help Build Crowd Sourced used LR4 Buyers Guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
All,

Lets build out a shared google doc used 2010-2013 LR4 buyers guide! Here is the link of what I have gotten started so far. Need input // thoughts on various components to check out, when they should be replaced, maybe even rough pricing maybe for repairs, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ews8_niJg0C3WmOIu4VOwTMhzvEmaOye_f3xk1Yeb4A/edit?usp=sharing

Little about me, new to the forum here and looking to buy 2011-2013 LR4 HSE for use as a daily driver and to tow a camper trailer for myself and my 3 little ones (all under 6 right now).

I have been sleuthing around and absorbing info and knowledge of the pros and cons and areas of concerns for these vehicles. Test drove a couple this weekend from some used lots and really enjoyed the ride.

Looking to pull the trigger on a purchase over the next 2-4 weeks with a budget in the 15k range. But also know the price is just one part of this journey --- need to really understand the condition of the car and the maintenance done (or not) to the rig so far.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Here's what I think... Run the VIN of the vehicle to give you a better picture of what you're actually getting. It'll tell you if it has certain features like a rear locked diff. Also request for a carfax if they have it available or even ask them to provide one prior to purchasing. The carfax will provide general or even some clues as to what was fixed at what mileage and where it was fixed.

Top 3 things I would look for is timing chain replacement, transmission issues, and suspension issues, to me those are THE most expensive replacement items or items that can give you the most headaches. Cooling issues is slightly less of an issue cause it's way easier to fix than the rest, but still a pain in the butt to deal with. IF the truck you're looking doesn't have any codes, then you're in the clear, but check when the codes were last cleared.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little about me, new to the forum here and looking to buy 2011-2013 LR4 HSE for use as a daily driver and to tow a camper trailer for myself and my 3 little ones (all under 6 right now).

Side note: Let’s stay in touch as you get closer to crossing over into ownership mode. We have a very active and fun group of owners across the DMV including Baltimore and Annapolis. Plenty of LR3 and LR4 experience in the group. DM me if you’re interested in more info. —Chris

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

Lets build out a shared google doc used 2010-2013 LR4 buyers guide! Here is the link of what I have gotten started so far. Need input // thoughts on various components to check out, when they should be replaced, maybe even rough pricing maybe for repairs, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ews8_niJg0C3WmOIu4VOwTMhzvEmaOye_f3xk1Yeb4A/edit?usp=sharing

I have been sleuthing around and absorbing info and knowledge of the pros and cons and areas of concerns for these vehicles. Test drove a couple this weekend from some used lots and really enjoyed the ride.

Looking to pull the trigger on a purchase over the next 2-4 weeks with a budget in the 15k range. But also know the price is just one part of this journey --- need to really understand the condition of the car and the maintenance done (or not) to the rig so far.
Welcome to the forum Robert. Check out this thread - there is a ton of advice you can pull directly from it that you could add to your doc.

2011 LR4 Pricing
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...4-Pricing.42192/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
Troy, that thread is the one I started to pull things from for the doc --- if you have any thoughts on other things I can add feel free to leave comments on the sheet, etc and if you want direct edit access shoot me a request through google and I'll add you.

Chris, just hit you up on Facebook! Would love to connect. I owned a 1986 110 Defender that I raffled off to help my staff I had to layoff during covid. Now looking to get into the game in a slightly different way with a daily driver // trailer tow. Would love your help if willing on evaluating ones I'm finding to keep from landing with lemon!

DJ, thanks for that link! I'll add it into the doc! Any thoughts on components I might be missing on the doc?

Seabassjfr

Reaction score
Hey Robert, Congrats on your quest to find an LR4, it is a unique life experience that will make you growth. I recently adquire mine and cant explain you how stoked i am. The joy of riding this Adventure Rig is another level.

I think the best thing i did to get mine was finding this forum, as you can tell, here you can find all the tools to build your knowledge and when the time is right you will know you find what you’re looking for.

What i perceive from the current market is, this is a kind of vehicle that is not made anymore and even do there is a SEA of LR4s nationwide, the good ones (Well maintained, one owner, low mileage, low oil ch intervals, no rust, sold by a Land Rover Dealership or original owner, no offroad, etc.) don't last in the market. They will be gone by the 3rd day they are up for sale. I found another one in the bay area that i thought was the one and while i was on the phone doing the last negotiations a guy came in the dealership and bought it. So, DONT get attached till is in your driveway. You need to have a clear mind for all the negotiations and decisions you are about to take.

Look for LR4s nationwide, avoid north east, and i daily check on AutoTrader & Carfax. Call Nathan in Kentucky, i think he got a new LR4 in stock. https://www.platinum222.com. Watch youtube videos, of maintance and worst case scenarios.

Even if you're not convinced or buying the car, start making inquires for diff LR4s, so you can have a more skeptical knowledge about the current USED LR4s out there. That helped me a lot, so when the time was right i had an easier trigger pull. Im pretty sure that if mine was my first option Ive wouldn't had the capacity to realize that was the one and would be gone in front of my eyes without noticing it.

Last but not least, PATIANCE....That was the best advice members from this forum gave me. You want to know what you are getting into. no need to rush.

Im going to quote a Msg that another wise member sent me & helped me a lot.

"The 5.0L V8s have "FoMoCo" (Ford Motor Company) all over the place in the engine compartment because the LR3 and LR4 are Ford designed, with Ford Electronics, and basically a rebranded Ford Coyote V8 engine (same engine that the Aston Martin Vantage V8, some Jaguars, and a few Ford and Lincoln vehicles have as well). It's a VERY good engine when maintained properly (oil/filter changes every 5-7K miles) and was ranked one of the top 5 engines of the decade for the 2010s. It thumps when you hit the gas and growls/purrs like a tiger.

Again, this is true if it has been maintained properly, of course. If it *hasn't* been maintained, the engine will start to sound like a sewing machine when idling (that's the timing chain loosening up) and if it is starting to get that sound from a loose chain, it shouldn't be driven, and will need to have the timing guides and tensioners replaced inside the engine.

To give you an idea of what a repair like that would cost... if you do the repair yourself, it'll run about $1700 in parts and tools, plus patience. If you pay a dealership or independent shop to do the repair, it will cost $5,000-10,000. It's not a cheap fix.

Changing the engine oil and filter often prevents this wear problem pretty much, which is why it's so critical to know whether an LR4 was maintained properly throughout it's lifetime. If the records show that the timing guides/tensioners were replaced by a previous owner, then that's even better! :)

A good condition LR4 is going to cost you some time and money in maintenance (not too much if you do things yourself, honestly), but a bad condition one could end up costing you many thousands easily depending on the issues it has.

If it seems like I am trying to "scare" you a little bit, it's because I am. These are great...amazing vehicles really... when well maintained, and if you are willing to turn a wrench yourself, they aren't really all that much more expensive to maintain than any other heavy, 3 Ton truck."

Let me know if i can help you out in anything you need!

Enjoy your Quest!

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
Thank you @Seabassjfr - you hit the nail for me. My biggest cocrnern is the timing chain and wanting to make sure I avoid that issue. True is I dont know what it sounds like when one starts to go bad. I posted a video of a cold start and run on a low milage (70k) rig I found on my other thread. Any chance you'd be willing to give it a listen?

eddyoz

Reaction score
Everything you need to know is on the UK and OZ forums www.disco3.co.uk
and www.aulro.com

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
@eddyoz - thanks ill check those forums out too!

@Jcharlesmith - two reasons- 1) price point - that newer model year is a bit more expensive and 2) i plan to tow a camper trailer, so I want the extra the 10% horsepower and torque

Where are you located? Whats your budget? If I see a good 2014 I can ping you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV