High revs when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamie Pichora

Reaction score
Hullo!

I'm in the middle of the first winter with my 2015 LR4 (100k). I'm noticing a weird behaviour of revving annoyingly high and shifting hard for the first 5 mins or so of driving. After that, it's smooth as silk. I've never experienced anything like this in five vehicles. I'd driven my Tiguan in -30ºC temps.

You know when you see someone riding their bike at walking speed and, for some reason, they won't shift up out of first gear despite their legs going crazy and their butt bouncing in the seat?

That's how I feel about the LR4 every morning.

Here's a video (sound on). Apologies for the steering wheel interference. Despite the sounds, I was doing my best to accelerate smoothly (ie. the gas pedal depression was fairly static).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzxmkbk8tqlt68w/LR4 Tach 720.mov?dl=0

Cheers,
Jamie

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question but have you had your fluid changed or topped off recently, you could be low on fluid. Does it do this in all gears when cold or just some.

Jamie Pichora

Reaction score
The truck is new to me and I'm not certain of the transmission fluid's status but that sounds like a reasonable place to start. And yes, all gears are chunky and weird when cold.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By 100k miles (although you are in Canada so you could mean km) the transmission fluid should have been changed. If you don't know for sure, I'd look into performing that service. But by all means start by checking fluid levels.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes agreed look into the service history. If you cant find the service paper for it anywhere I recommend going to a trusted mechanic who either does ZF transmissions or specializes in land rovers show him the video and if they suggest swapping, or topping it off go from there. I’d think it was the fluid considering it will do it in every single gear. If it’s not the fluid I’d get your mechanics personal opinion on what it is, if he recommends a rebuilt I’d find a different mechanic. If fluid doesn’t work I’d guess that it would be the actual gearbox computer itself, not the valve body but the actual computer itself.

Jamie Pichora

Reaction score
So it took a while but I finally got to the bottom of this one. Turns out there wasn't enough transmission oil in the pan. I bought it used and have no idea why it was low but I'm happy that it was such a simple fix. Drives like a dream now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72