hitch storage location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nelz99

Reaction score
I bought a new to me 2007 LR3 HSE and the original owners ordered every bell and whistle for this thing. So I went to look into a hitch for it and noticed it came with the folding key for the factory LR hitch and its pre-wired but no hitch to be found. Is there a special storage spot for the hitch that I'm missing? I looked in the jack storage area and aside from the red plastic hitch insert, no hitch. Just hoping that's not the one thing thats missing...

Thanks!

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you look in the opposite side storage area also?

Nelz99

Reaction score
I did. Thats just the subwoofer, some tubes and wires. otherwise empty.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it makes you feel better - mine came with nothing LOL

1 key, no manuals, no load cover, no hitch, no trailer wiring, no DVD player headphones or remote . . . even the fuse pullers were missing! haha

unfortunately as these change owners over the years, some try to maximize $ by selling items separately - very common

I now have all of the above (except the DVD stuff)

Nelz99

Reaction score
Hahah yeah I feel very lucky! Aside from the dealer I bought it from, I'm the 2nd owner. I started looking for an LR3 when I found one on craigslist and the seller wouldn't return my emails. After looking in any reasonable state to purchase one, I found this one, 5 hours north. A week later the craigslist seller replied! Glad it worked out this way, because looking back, theirs was a bit rough.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 Hitch short one mounted in rear heater area 100_0975b.JPG
I bought a new to me 2007 LR3 HSE and the original owners ordered every bell and whistle for this thing. So I went to look into a hitch for it and noticed it came with the folding key for the factory LR hitch and its pre-wired but no hitch to be found. Is there a special storage spot for the hitch that I'm missing? I looked in the jack storage area and aside from the red plastic hitch insert, no hitch. Just hoping that's not the one thing thats missing...

Thanks!
A fully loaded HSE generally did not include the hitch insert nor usually the trailer wiring. If you do have the factory trailer wiring and not the hitch insert, then even if the previous owner left it in the vehicle, someone got to it before you did.

The special factory storage spot of the insert was the sort of styrofoam shape pictured that set into the driver side left access door on the rear side wall below the secondary HVAC fan.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fully loaded HSE generally did not include the hitch insert nor usually the trailer wiring.

I think you are correct that in the early years you could get the parts but it may not have really even been a line item "option" for a build order. Mine is an HSE that I bought new in spring 2007 but at same time bought the quick release "receiver" (I wouldn't call it an "insert" LOL) and the wiring which was fairly simple to plug in myself.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I guess it is a Receiver. The jpg shows the newer smaller LR4 type and the big one is the LR3 original receiver. The LR4 type fits the LR3 and hangs down less - looks better as well.

LR4 new short style hitch.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I guess it is a Receiver. The jpg shows the newer smaller LR4 type and the big one is the LR3 original receiver. The LR4 type fits the LR3 and hangs down less - looks better as well.

View attachment 10509

Yep. I have both. Sometimes the low one works better because it's pin point is further out. This is probably only an issue for me because I have the rear tire swing arm carrier and a trailer with fixed lowering crank can be too close. I like having choices!

Nelz99

Reaction score
View attachment 10508 A fully loaded HSE generally did not include the hitch insert nor usually the trailer wiring. If you do have the factory trailer wiring and not the hitch insert, then even if the previous owner left it in the vehicle, someone got to it before you did.

The special factory storage spot of the insert was the sort of styrofoam shape pictured that set into the driver side left access door on the rear side wall below the secondary HVAC fan.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. So while the original owner did get a ton of ad-ons including the iPod dock on the dash and USB aux hub in the glove box, and this LR3 still had every accessory like the bag for roof rack rails, all of the documents, and factory hitch wiring, there is no sign of the factory receiver hitch in the rear HVAC area. Bummer. Guess I'll have to order one...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut