Hitch tongue weight sanity check...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headed out for vacation tomorrow and this year we're hitting the roads with an extra dog, which means less luggage in the car and more on the hitch tray.

I'm always nervous loading up the hitch tray... especially the way the LR hitch just kind of hangs off the body with that pin mechanism.

So, the tongue weight stamped on my LR4 hitch receiver says 770lbs.
My hitch tray is a well built UWS aluminum model with a max load of 500lbs.

I realize I'm within the tongue weight, but would you be comfortable hanging 500 lbs. off that receiver?

Thanks for any feedback. It's too late to buy new hardware/trays, so I'm making the most of what I have. Perhaps a trailer is in my future.

2v2EVB659xvn42L.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was towing a loaded box trailer, and honestly could not even tell the difference on CG. Not too sure on what the tongue weight was, but it was pretty beefy.

My friend had his dirt bike on a hitch receiver and we drove around with that, didn't seem to have any issues. I believe that was around 300 lbs.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...My friend had his dirt bike on a hitch receiver and we drove around with that, didn't seem to have any issues. I believe that was around 300 lbs.

Thanks, guys.

Okay, experience hauling a dirt bike hanging off there is a good test case. I won’t worry about it.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw 500lbs on a hitch hauler is a very different load on the hitch than a trailer with the same tounge weight. The hitch hauler has way more leverage on the truck and can impart bending and twisting motions where a trailer basically just pushes straight down.

That said I tote a 230lbs dirt bike + 5 gal of fuel on a hitch hauler that itself probably weighs 60lbs, but I use a rhino hitch. I personally would be really nervous doing that with the stock hitch. The truck doesn't seem to notice the weight at all though so no worries on that front.

IMG_20190531_201000.jpg

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mount a ~260lb. bike plus a 90lb. carrier on the stock hitch regularly without any issue. I was skeptical at first as well, but have had no problems. I think you will be fine.

IMG_5418.jpg

Faaguy

Reaction score
I would like to know why Land Rover does not recommend a weight distribution hitch. I have a 5200 LB 25' trailer that weighs about 6000 LB when rolling down the road. My weight distribution hitch puts most of the tongue wt on the trailers dual axles and the LR4 pulls the trailer effortlessly down the road with no sway. I've thought about putting a Curt toebar on the LR4 and completely bypassing the OEM receiver. What's everyone's thoughts about this.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw 500lbs on a hitch hauler is a very different load on the hitch than a trailer with the same tounge weight. The hitch hauler has way more leverage on the truck and can impart bending and twisting motions where a trailer basically just pushes straight down...
Yeah, I agree. Seems odd. It's in spec, though.

I mount a ~260lb. bike plus a 90lb. carrier on the stock hitch regularly without any issue. I was skeptical at first as well, but have had no problems. I think you will be fine.
Thanks. I ended up going with the hitch tray as usual without issue. But based on the feedback here I was a little less nervous this time even though just about all the luggage we cared about (other than laptops) was on the hitch tray.

For what it's worth, I have an aluminum AWS hitch carrier which I'd recommend. I have had it for several years and used it on my LR3 before this truck. I wanted a strong box, where I didn't have to worry about rust and it was easy to carry and install by myself. This thing has held up and looks as good as the day I bought it. Every time I see those black painted steel ones on vehicles they are usually bent and rusted.

uws-carrier_1024x768_a.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut