How do I get the cover off thats front side of driver seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to install my CB and I am thinking about using the power feed thats under the driver seat.

I think I can feel the clips that hold the plastic cover on, front side of seat near floor. But I've pulled on it and it feels like im going to break the damn thing.

I've already busted a few clips off of the rear speaker cover near the tailgate. I need to order a big pack of all the stupid clips so I have extras. Very frustrating to work on something the is always broken after you remove it and then you are stuck with broken **** that you can't put back together until you get new cheap plastic clips to fix it with. Grrrrr.

00000111.png

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that.

I am going back and forth with my local LR tech. He doesnt think those wires are a good choice since they are not always powered. I was thinking they were.

I could use the accessory power in the center console, but i was thinking an always on power source might work (as long as the radio doesnt pull any power when its off, ill need to find out)

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that the power source from the cameras are "always on" when the vehicle is on, even if the cameras are not displaying on the nav screen. Not sure if the wiring diagrams you have will show an accessible route of that power source.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to grab a standard power plug and put it in the cig lighter port for now until i get this figured out. I still have a few details to work out with the wire routing near the back tailgate and my mount for the firestick (3') that im mounting to my ladder. (i know the ladder isn't probably optimal mount point, but i want to try it to start with., I may set this up so I can move it to the roof rack if needed.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mbw- mine's plugged into the rear cig lighter as opposed to hard-wired. Looking for more info about your mount. I purchased an OPEK lip mount for the side of the tailgate, but I keep taking it off and cleaning underneath so it doesn't damage the paint. I'd feel much better about mounting it to my ladder.. Is there a way to angle it so the antenna points straight up as opposed to following the line of the ladder? Let me know. Thanks!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mbw- mine's plugged into the rear cig lighter as opposed to hard-wired. Looking for more info about your mount. I purchased an OPEK lip mount for the side of the tailgate, but I keep taking it off and cleaning underneath so it doesn't damage the paint. I'd feel much better about mounting it to my ladder.. Is there a way to angle it so the antenna points straight up as opposed to following the line of the ladder? Let me know. Thanks!
Hey, this is what I was thinking as far as the ladder mount. Very cool! I agree, wonder if you can get it straight?

Hey mbw,

Where did you get that mount? I have the same set up as bushway, but don't care for it mounted to the tailgate lip.

Thanks!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ladder mount could have worked. I hadn't grounded the mount yet in that last picture, so when I went to do that.. I hated my wiring options and I just wasn't that happy with the antenna performance. SWR was not as good as my next option. I'll also want to switch out antennas for other bands or run a linear amp and such..

So... I ended up using the roof rack. I used a piece of rubber (large heat shrink wrap) around the metal bar (the ladder or the rack) to protect the powder coat. That wouldn't be a good ground through the powder coat anyway, so I didnt care about that. The ground though is MUCH better up there because I have bolts for the rack going straight into the roof. Couple inch wire for the connection and BAM! Great SWR and way better antenna performance.

This is a quick disconnect. All firestik stuff. Firestik II FS 3' antenna. (not pictured)
IMG_20130913_084706_zpsfb876c88.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was going to bend the mount to get it pointed up. It wouldn't have worked as well at an angle, that is true.

I am only planning to run the antenna on longer trips or trail runs. I think the Firestik up on the roof will be amazing. I may grab a wilson flex also because I know I will end up on a trail with trees or whatever and bust my firestik right off.

The firestick in 3' with a quick disconnect is very easy to put on and off. It even sits nicely on the rear cargo cover with my umbrella when not in use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV