How do you sit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened, but lately I just can't get comfortable in the driver's seat. When I first bought the truck a year ago, it took me a while but I never got it "perfect." Now, 10 minutes in and I have lower back pain. I loved the seats and positioning of my D1, which was a reason I was drawn to the D4, but I can't seem to find the "sweet spot" in the adjustment of the seats. I don't have the LUX seats, either.

So how are you guys sitting? Seat way up? All the way down? In my D1 I had to look "under" the windshield at stoplights if I was first in line, that thing was way upright. Right now, the top of my steering wheel is blocking the top of my gauges in my line of sight as well, so I really think I'm just not set up correctly. I'm 6' 180lbs, I'd say pretty square as far as arm/leg length goes so not some outlying body size and shape. I guess if I really need to I can look into aftermarket seats but I shouldn't have to. I did have the same problem in my old Silverado, but I don't in my wife's VW... so I don't think it's me. In the passenger seat I'm fine, so I think it has something to do with how I am related to the pedals.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 6'2" I am all the way back (just enough seat travel but would like 1' more) and fairly low. Crank the lumbar up

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m shrinking ... down to 5’10 now, about 180. I find this car to be the most comfortable I’ve ever driven, especially for long trips. I‘ve always had knee pain in other cars after a couple hours of driving, but I don’t get it with this one. I believe all body-on-frame cars (LR4 and the silverado) will have the seats upright quite a bit more than a monocoque car like the VW, where the seats tend to be more sunken and laid back (at least that’s what I’ve found to be the case). No experience with the D1, but you mention the very upright posture and I’m guessing it has the steering wheel quite a bit closer to the driver.

Reclining a bit more might help clear the steering wheel and with the lower back pain if you can get your steering wheel extended back enough to be comfortable.

I did have to move my steering wheel up a little more than I was used to so as to see the top of the gauges, but I got used to it. I also have the steering wheel extended out towards me most of the way - long arms and legs I guess. Otherwise, I have my seat all the way down or nearly so, reclined slightly, and the front edge of the seat up a bit to support the legs. Lumbar pumped up nearly to the max. I do have the lux seats, so not sure if that affects things.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'9, and don't have any major issues. I do however wish I could push the throttle/brake forward as I would like a bit more leg room with how I setup my seat.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I think I’m chasing that “kitchen table” seating position from the D1, but the 4 is more ergonomic and I’m all in the wrong place. I always felt like I was sitting in a boat driving the Silverado so I’m sure I had that seat up “too high” to compensate.

I’ll drop the seat way down for my drive tomorrow and see how it is.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'5" tall but long torso'd. My inseam is only about 32". I sit with the seat all the way back. The bottom is most of the way down, but tilted back about as far as it will go. I found that having the support under my thighs really made things more comfortable on long distances.

Xanderith

Reaction score
I'm 6'4" and about 220, with my lux seats I run with it all the way down front and back, about an inch from full rear and slightly reclined. The wheel is telescoped all the way out and the top does cover the speedometer after 45mph

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lowered the seat pretty much all the way down and pumped up the lumbar.. much better. Not perfect, but its a great start. thanks gents.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
Interesting reading. I'm 6'2" with a longish torso (32" inseam). I have the seat quite high and about midway front/rear. If I stretch my head touches the roof and I have to duck to see traffic lights if I'm first in line. All that said I find the LR4 seat very comfortable. I had a D2 with a very similar driving position. My LR3 is not as comfortable because the height only changes the rear of the seat (more rocking than up/down). I do have the seat back reclined more than my wife. So my choice is seat higher with more recline. I mess with the lumbar support from time to time but more out of curiosity than any real change in comfort.

Matt1t

Reaction score
I roll with the seat up high with some recline. Makes me fell like I'm sitting on top of the truck looking down on the hood instead of the vehicle feeling wrapped around me sitting low like in my 2011 Ford explorer. Brings me back to my D2 days.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA