How to check the battery voltage with the settings menu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farupp

Reaction score
Today when we went out in our LR3 the Navigation screen and the radio would not work. There was a message on the radio screen that there was a Low Voltage Condition or something like that. The battery is only one year old. Is there any way using the settings menu or other menu to check the voltage of the battery and the alternator? i.e. a onboard voltage gauge.

Thanks
Frank
2008 LR3 HSE HD
Charleston SC

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is...but it's complicated.

I saw on another thread: turn on the radio. Push and hold the tuning knob (on the opposite side of the head unit from the on knob) for about 20 seconds. A diag screen will appear. Repeat that; hold the knob down for another 20. Another screen will appear. Turn the tuning knob clockwise, I think 5 or 6 clicks and you'll see a measured value labeled as Voltage (or something like that).

If you have an IIDTool, and you SHOULD get one, it's easy. Just plug it in!

farupp

Reaction score
Thanks, H. We drove the car for about an hour and stopped. Later we restarted the LR3 and everything was fine. Hopefully the battery isn't going out.

Thanks for the reply. I will try what you suggested.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and usually the low-voltage mode for the radio engages when the car is off but the stereo is cranked up past 20. Was your vehicle running?

If your battery is only a year old you should get a new one free.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually if the battery is going out, you get all kinds of weird random faults at start-up.

farupp

Reaction score
Yes, the radio and the nav screen would not work after we started the car and it was running.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well let us know what you find out. Non-charging voltage should be greater than 12, more like 12.5-13V....and charging voltage ~14V.

farupp

Reaction score
I will check tomorrow. But after we drove the car and let it sit for a while everything was "normal."

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...everything is normal until it's not (normal). It's worth the 2 minute check.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72