How to get unstuck in deep water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No recovery gear yet. Working on that.

I won't be trying to off-road until I get a few basic things (tires, rec gear, etc), but I do travel often for work and would like to know the best way to get unstuck in case I get stuck in mud, in water where I can't see below the surface of the water.

Any tips?

Assuming I have no help from others.

I realize this may not be possible, but in case it is, I'd like to know.

Links to videos would be great too!
Thank u guys!

I just don't want a Jeep driver to drive by and say, "shoulda been driving a Jeep."

Or an fj cruiser, lol

Oddboy

Reaction score
The following are listed in order of least effective to most effective for mud.

1. MAXTRAX & a shovel. Use the shovel to clear enough space for the MAXTRAX and hope your tire catches. Bonus points: put them on the outside of your vehicle for Overland trendiness.
2. Don't get stuck in the first place.
3. I once saw a video by Ronny Dahl (from 4 Wheeling Australia) about using recovery straps, a HiLift Jack, and some good old fashion muscle. I have no idea if this is actually effective because I've never tried it, but in theory I can see it working... so long as you don't **** yourself. Bonus points: if you don't **** yourself.
4. Buy a Winch. Bonus points: it looks cool and will pay for itself.
5. Recovery vehicle. Doesn't work if you're traveling alone or you don't have friends, but it's the most effective method of getting unstuck in any situation. Bonus points: shared misery builds friendships.

Can't speak for water because I've never gotten stuck in water (sounds like a bad time).

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
download.jpeg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No recovery gear yet. Working on that.

I won't be trying to off-road until I get a few basic things (tires, rec gear, etc),

Your post made me think of something, yet another winning feature of waffle boards which I'll describe after a mini-rant.

A lot of people new to this will only suggest Maxtrax or similar but in my opinion they are one of the most hyped but not all that hot items I've seen come along in 20 years. There is literally nothing they do better than a traditional bridging ladder or waffle board but there are many things they suck at or just simply cannot do at all.

I suppose they are very good at being cheap and light weight. Rant over for now.

Waffle boards and other traditional bridging or sand ladders (heavy duty vs light weight) will all sink into water which is a good thing in your scenario posed about "deep water". Plastic things are going to be trying to float up, which I cannot even imagine my frustration if I were using one out on my own without someone to make sure it stays in place.

So, get yourself a pair of waffle boards from "okoffroad" in the 2" section HD model or spend $$$ on "Mantec bridging ladders". Do not be confused by the very cool, but more flexible "sand ladders". The sand version is not going to do a true bridge while the heavier ones will, and they are simply amazing.

I got the fiberglass waffle boards because they would provide 95% of the HD Mantec at 1/4 the cost so I figured cheap enough even just to test them. That was 12 years ago and I've used them many times and also realized multiple functions/uses for them such that something like a Maxtrax is not even in the same discussion.

Main features are they have a grippy side for the tires, can ramp up any ledge without flexing too much. They can sink into snow or mud but you can put something under them if that is not desired so you have the flexibility to choose when it's useful or not.

Uses aside from primary function and bonus features:

1-My waffles stay mounted on the lr3 factory rail/tracks so they are easy to access yet do not interfere with the full length rack that mounts above them.

2-The Hannibal rack is only on the in summer so rest of the time the waffles 12x48" also serve as a standing platform for taking photos from a very nice elevated position.

3-they can be stacked to create 4" platform for vehicle leveling at camp sites

4-a shower pad to stand on and water obviously passes through the created "floor" under your feet.

5-a table or extension to tailgate if you have something to set ends or other end on.

6-ramp into vehicle if you have a dog with trouble jumping or climbing.

The list could go on actually depending on your travel style and needs.

The deep water scenario though is perfect because you'd simply set these where needed and drive on out. If you had 4, you could do the method of leading axle onto one set, then set 2nd set in front of there and keep swapping until driven out of an extreme situation.

Do not go into potential bad conditions without a simple shovel though. Don't forget such 'basics' !

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A key thing about water crossings is knowing what you are getting into. That can mean getting out and wading it on foot before you drive your car through.

Once you hit it, keep momentum. Built a bow wave and go. Don't stop.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A key thing about water crossings is knowing what you are getting into. That can mean getting out and wading it on foot before you drive your car through.

Once you hit it, keep momentum. Built a bow wave and go. Don't stop.

I resisted saying at first, but now cannot help myself:

If you've stopped, in "deep" water, you're in a world of trouble that seriously should have been avoided. What is "deep" begs the question here. Above door sill so it flows in upon your exit? Dang that sounds like a bad day to me for an lr3/4/modern rover vehicle and I don't even consider that "deep".

So, if it were where I'd call it deep, like up to door handle, and you're literally stopped and considering getting out.....you're probably just fukked and need a winch out anyway. Vehicle may also be toast if stopped in water that deep.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your post made me think of something, yet another winning feature of waffle boards which I'll describe after a mini-rant.

A lot of people new to this will only suggest Maxtrax or similar but in my opinion they are one of the most hyped but not all that hot items I've seen come along in 20 years. There is literally nothing they do better than a traditional bridging ladder or waffle board but there are many things they suck at or just simply cannot do at all.

I suppose they are very good at being cheap and light weight. Rant over for now.

Waffle boards and other traditional bridging or sand ladders (heavy duty vs light weight) will all sink into water which is a good thing in your scenario posed about "deep water". Plastic things are going to be trying to float up, which I cannot even imagine my frustration if I were using one out on my own without someone to make sure it stays in place.

So, get yourself a pair of waffle boards from "okoffroad" in the 2" section HD model or spend $$$ on "Mantec bridging ladders". Do not be confused by the very cool, but more flexible "sand ladders". The sand version is not going to do a true bridge while the heavier ones will, and they are simply amazing.

I got the fiberglass waffle boards because they would provide 95% of the HD Mantec at 1/4 the cost so I figured cheap enough even just to test them. That was 12 years ago and I've used them many times and also realized multiple functions/uses for them such that something like a Maxtrax is not even in the same discussion.

Main features are they have a grippy side for the tires, can ramp up any ledge without flexing too much. They can sink into snow or mud but you can put something under them if that is not desired so you have the flexibility to choose when it's useful or not.

Uses aside from primary function and bonus features:

1-My waffles stay mounted on the lr3 factory rail/tracks so they are easy to access yet do not interfere with the full length rack that mounts above them.

2-The Hannibal rack is only on the in summer so rest of the time the waffles 12x48" also serve as a standing platform for taking photos from a very nice elevated position.

3-they can be stacked to create 4" platform for vehicle leveling at camp sites

4-a shower pad to stand on and water obviously passes through the created "floor" under your feet.

5-a table or extension to tailgate if you have something to set ends or other end on.

6-ramp into vehicle if you have a dog with trouble jumping or climbing.

The list could go on actually depending on your travel style and needs.

The deep water scenario though is perfect because you'd simply set these where needed and drive on out. If you had 4, you could do the method of leading axle onto one set, then set 2nd set in front of there and keep swapping until driven out of an extreme situation.

Do not go into potential bad conditions without a simple shovel though. Don't forget such 'basics' !
I had never heard of these magics you describe. I'm going to look them up right now. But just to be clear, you are saying that these are a better buy than a maxtrac in your opinion? More practical?

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I resisted saying at first, but now cannot help myself:

If you've stopped, in "deep" water, you're in a world of trouble that seriously should have been avoided. What is "deep" begs the question here. Above door sill so it flows in upon your exit? Dang that sounds like a bad day to me for an lr3/4/modern rover vehicle and I don't even consider that "deep".

So, if it were where I'd call it deep, like up to door handle, and you're literally stopped and considering getting out.....you're probably just fukked and need a winch out anyway. Vehicle may also be toast if stopped in water that deep.
You're right. My choice of use with the word "deep" was questionable. I meant deep enough to where I can't see the bottom. But then again that is subjective to each situation.
I have not been in anything drop enough to have water go in when I open the door. I'm a complete noob to this.
But since we are on that topic. #noobquestion
What is the main purpose of the snorkel? Because I thought I knew, but apparently I was gravely mistaken.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right. My choice of use with the word "deep" was questionable. I meant deep enough to where I can't see the bottom. But then again that is subjective to each situation.
I have not been in anything drop enough to have water go in when I open the door. I'm a complete noob to this.
But since we are on that topic. #noobquestion
What is the main purpose of the snorkel? Because I thought I knew, but apparently I was gravely mistaken.

You aren't going to find a snorkel for a U.S. LR4 because the intakes are on both sides of the vehicle, so we'd have to run 2 snorkels and nobody makes the mirror image that we'd need.

That said, a snorkel can raise the air intake for water crossings, but you'd have to do a whole ton of other waterproofing before it comes down to the snorkel saving your bacon.

The snorkel is good in dusty conditions as it allows the particles in the air to settle a bit before they hit the air filter.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the main purpose of the snorkel?

on a traditional diesel, you could set up the vehicle to literally continue running while buried in 5 feet of water. Ours are not that.... the lr3/4 snorkles you see are best helping to draw slightly less dusty air from higher up when traveling behind others.

Even if you were to perfectly seal one on it route to engine (they are not in standard installation) you'd still have a ton of other items that are going to be very unhappy under water for very long or often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA