How to sell a 2016 LR4 HSE Silver Edition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyG

Reaction score
I'm curious about the best approach to use when selling my 2016 LR4 HSE Silver Edition - Corris Grey. It has about 32k miles and has never had a need for any services aside from oil changes at the dealership. So it still has original brakes and tires. Options include trailer hitch and adaptive headlights.

Am I better off replacing brakes (pads & rotors) at the dealer, buying new tires, and detailing the car OR selling without any work done in a private sale to someone who may have preferences in brakes and tires? How much would it cost to get it to CPO standard?

This is a one passenger car (me) so there is virtually no wear and tear on passenger side or back seats. No Cheerios under the seats. Etc...

I've already gotten a barrage of emails from the dealership regarding buying a Defender (my plan for the spring) and trading the car in. My guess is that they'll never come close to what I can get privately.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Marty

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should have no problem selling it privately. low mileage LR4s are worth their weight in gold.
why replace the brakes and tires? are they bad?

id skip replacing the tires. the new owner may want a specific type of tire. asjust the selling price accordingly if selling with bad tires though.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I had my local San Diego Land Rover dealership call me out of the blue asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Defender or a newer Land Rover too. I kindly declined and asked do they do this to/for everyone? I was told that the LR4 market are in demand and everyone that comes into the lot asks for the LR4 over the Disco 5, Disco Sport, Range Rover(s), and Defender.

I've saw this recently and that's pretty close to fetching purchase price on a used LR4, and not sure how long that'll take to sell... AutoTrader

MartyG

Reaction score
The tires are pretty close to done. The brakes are fine as far as I know. I thought that they might need to be done to get to the CPO standard.

It is my understanding that if the car is traded in I will only pay sales tax on the difference between the new car price and the trade-in value. Is that something that any have found beneficial versus selling privately?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
selling privatly could get you well over KBB. the real world demand of the vehicle comes into play. this coudl be much above any trade-in tax savings.

trading it into the dealer, they will see the value, and deduct some....citing they must go by KBB/NADA and also make money. theyll always lowball, saying they need to spend $xx in order to certify it. i think there is a minimum investment a dealer must spend in order to certify. they will then flip it, after considering the real world demand, and mark it up.

MA sales tax is 6.25%. KBB says your car is worth $35k (trade in). ill asume the dealer will come in at 30k offer. youll save the sales tax on 30k....so $1875.

for you to make it worth while, youd need to sell privatly for at least $31,875. easily done in this market.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my local San Diego Land Rover dealership call me out of the blue asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Defender or a newer Land Rover too. I kindly declined and asked do they do this to/for everyone? I was told that the LR4 market are in demand and everyone that comes into the lot asks for the LR4 over the Disco 5, Disco Sport, Range Rover(s), and Defender.

I've saw this recently and that's pretty close to fetching purchase price on a used LR4, and not sure how long that'll take to sell... AutoTrader

It's just a ploy from dealers to create sales. I have Honda dealers contacting me all the time to sell my Ridgeline..

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I think dealerships are a scam. They buy low and sell high. Sell you on parts and services you don't need.

CPOs are different as they need to certify that it's going to last x-years under warranty. They obviously don't tell you that they don't buy parts at MSRP or charging themselves customer rates for service tech labor. What they put in to flip the turnaround is way less than you think. I think CPOs are worth buying second hand as the warranty is inclusive. Overall, dealerships are a for profit business that needs to pay everyone, sales person, manager, loan officer, etc... So you won't get top dollar for it.

Private sales on the other hand, someone with a specific pallet may want to pay top dollar for something hard to find. If you had the HD package, someone would definitely pay premium money.

MartyG

Reaction score
Agreed on the tax savings issue. I guess I also have to figure in the convenience of trading in. Probably worth $500-$1,000 vs posting ads and meeting with buyers.

And I do wish I had the HD package. That actually slipped past me when I bought it since my previous two Rovers had HD. I didn't even test drive the last one. Just picked out and took it home. I will not do that when I pick out the new Defender in the spring. :)

Any recommended sites for listing an LR4 for sale? I'm in the Boston area. Thanks all.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommended sites for listing an LR4 for sale?
Why not just list it on AutoTrader? That will put it out there nation wide and buyers (even buyers on here) have been known to travel, and/or ship it, for the right LR4. From your original note, I assume you've had it since new, and 'no accidents'? Include a CarFax report with your add to confirm the trucks history, including maintenance. I wouldn't spend on tires and brakes, any savvy buyer can figure out what it might need. Trying to get to 'CPO Standard' doesn't mean much since it can't be unless you trade it to the 'stealership' for $30- $35K, and they turn around and Certify it, then list it for $49,999. LOL
Do a professional detail on it? I think yes on that. You should experience a lot of interest in it. Good luck!

MartyG

Reaction score
Thanks very much LB Bill. I appreciate the help. I bought it new, have all of the documents, clear title after 3 more payments, no accidents, damage or anything of that nature. I traded my 2012 LR4 in at 35k miles 4 years ago because the D5 did nothing for me so I decided to get the last model year of the LR4. 2016. The Defender is awesome for my preferences and needs so that's next. And it's nice to have a nice amount of equity in my current car to put toward the next. Again, many thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi