How to Test D2 coil packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

kapaduch

Hey guys,
So i tried to undergo a valve job. We got it done and put all back togeather correctly(or atleast we thought). So when we cranked it, it didnt really start, it would run horribly awefully if you gave it lots of throttle, but the sec you let off the throttle it cut off. So we took the head back off, and found that the middle two cylinders had not even fired yet. The plugs were perfectly clean, however the outer two cylinders looked like they had been running for days(blackened). So i checked the other side, and found that the all the plugs controlled by the drivers side coil pack were clean (had not fired yet), and all the ones controlled by the passenger side pack were blackened. So we took the coil packs out, and now i would like to test them to see if the actual coil pack has gone bad or if it is a wiring problem. Does anybody know how to test the coil packs. It is a 2000 land rover discovery II.
Thanks guys,
Kevin P.

T

tcosson

This is all I found in the manual

It is possible to test both primary and secondary coils of the ignition coils for resistance using a multimeter as follows:
Expected primary coil resistance: 0.5 ± 0.05 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F).
Expected secondary coil resistance: 13.3 ± 1.3 k at 20 °C (68 °F).

D

discomike

Kevin,
On a side note, have you replaced your plug wires yet, if not do so while it is still apart, try some 8mm. Magnacors.
Mike J.

T

tcosson

Do those wires come pre assembled? When I reset the CEL on mine after putting it back together last weekend it had severel misfire codes.. If they return I'll be replaceing the stock wires. 1999, 130,000 miles...

D

discomike

At 130,000 miles, your wires are long past dead and have to be misfiring badily.
Here is a web site for a good group of guys, this is where I bought my wires. http://www.offroadtuff.com/magnecor.htm
Don't waste time wondering if yours are bad, change them out and see the difference. You might also want to drop a set of Bosh Platium Plus 4's in and take advantage of the extra voltage from the new wires.
Good luck,
Mike J.

T

tcosson

Do you have any bleed into the stereo with these wires? If not I'll get some as soon as I get back.
I'm lewaving the country for a couple month's so it'll have to wait until then.

D

discomike

I get no noise on either my FM or the CB radios.
They are cheaper then factory wires and aloow alot more voltage to the plugs.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick