HVAC burning smell when heat is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoorLifeDecisions

Reaction score
Just noticed a burning smell from the HVAC vents when I turn the temperature up to get heated air flow. Seems to get worse the higher I set the temperature. Also, in other cars like my Jag XF, when it's cold out, I set the HVAC temp to 68 and the heat feels just right, but with my LR4 I don't feel any heat until at least 72.

Anyone else experience this before? Seems like a heater element is on its way out?

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you use the heater much? If it’s not used regularly you will get a buildup of dust etc that essentially cooks off when it gets hot.

The heater performance is dependent on engine temp. Does the jag come up to temp faster than the Rover?

I had an old Ford for my first car, that thing smelled like roast chicken for the first 5 minutes when it was warming up in winter. Never got to the bottom of that one.

Stu.

PoorLifeDecisions

Reaction score
Thanks Stu. I just picked this up, so I believe it was my first time using the heater. The car had been sitting on a dealer lot for 2-3 months prior. Hope it's just dust burning off. I'll probably crank it up and drive around with the windows down for a bit.

I was experiencing the burning smell well after the engine warmed up. It warms up about the same as my Jag or any other car I've driven, so nothing remarkable.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel the the truck doesn’t give you heat, even if you ask it to, unless the engine is hot enough to do so. Just my experience so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi