InControl App Funnies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the new Discovery is running great and everything seems OK, but the surrounding software is as buggy as the Florida turnpike. The on-board nav/radio headset is screwy out of the box, but the InControl app takes the cake:

I do use my app to turn on my car on hot days and make sure the doors are locked at night. Last week, the app unceremoniously dumped by PIN code. One day it worked, the next it didn't. I try to re-set, no luck. So, I try to log out/log back into the system, but now it's forgotten my password. So, I ask the system to re-set my password. No email is sent...ever.

Finally, I call. Someone answered, thankfully. She tries re-sending me a password re-set...nada. So, on hold we go. When she comes back on, there's apparently an issue with using Yahoo email addresses. The system won't send confirmation or re-set emails to Yahoo.

OK, let's change it then. So, I give them my business email address which is gmail on my own domain. They reject that one. It has to be a dedicated [email protected] address.

I luckily have one. She changes it, and it works fine now. From the *** moments of owning a Rover, this is a trivial one, but comical, nonetheless.

DieselRanger

Reaction score
So, the new Discovery is running great and everything seems OK, but the surrounding software is as buggy as the Florida turnpike. The on-board nav/radio headset is screwy out of the box, but the InControl app takes the cake:

I do use my app to turn on my car on hot days and make sure the doors are locked at night. Last week, the app unceremoniously dumped by PIN code. One day it worked, the next it didn't. I try to re-set, no luck. So, I try to log out/log back into the system, but now it's forgotten my password. So, I ask the system to re-set my password. No email is sent...ever.

Finally, I call. Someone answered, thankfully. She tries re-sending me a password re-set...nada. So, on hold we go. When she comes back on, there's apparently an issue with using Yahoo email addresses. The system won't send confirmation or re-set emails to Yahoo.

OK, let's change it then. So, I give them my business email address which is gmail on my own domain. They reject that one. It has to be a dedicated [email protected] address.

I luckily have one. She changes it, and it works fine now. From the *** moments of owning a Rover, this is a trivial one, but comical, nonetheless.
Hopefully the new Pivi Pro coming in the New Defender is better - it's based on a smartphone architecture vs. an old-school vehicle head unit architecture. Uses smartphone processors and is OTA update capable. Havent got an OTA update on my InControl unit yet but it's enabled.

My remote start only works sometimes - in my area we have a "puffer law" which supposedly makes idling a car illegal, but only as an anti-theft measure. So my remote start sometimes works, sometimes doesn't - but I can't believe that InControl is that smart. Works 100% of the time everywhere else I go.

Since I got Android Auto, I use that exclusively unless I need a 4x4i display or low traction launch (getting about a foot of snow today so it was useful). I occasionally get weirdness with the touchscreen freezing or Android Auto not starting, but it's nothing that a restart doesn't fix. Also nothing that doesn't happen on myriad other infotainment systems I've ever used...seems about par for the course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV