Input needed: Should I buy a LR3 or LR4 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamaray

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been doing some research for my next purchase. I'm planning on buying either a lr3 or a lr4 (used, of course) as my third car for offroading/mudding/camping, etc. My goal is to stay within a $38,000 budget.

I've never owned a Land Rover. I understand that LR4 offers a more luxury package overall due to its a newer model. My research shows that the newer LR4 has:

Bigger and newer engine
More refined interior
More modern looking exterior
Newer terrain-response systems
Larger brake rotors/19" wheels that might make it hard to fit most AT tires...

what else are different between these two models ? Are there any mechanical improvements especially offroading related that can justify the extra $10~15K cost over a used LR3 ? Since this will really just be a weekend car therefore luxury isn't on the top of my list. However, I won't have any problem paying the extra 15K if there are major improvements.

Any land rover owners please feel free to chime in ! Your input is very valuable to a future first-time owner!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the larger tire limitation isn't a biggie to you, I'd go LR4 just for the interior and engine. I love my LR3, and those aspects of the LR4 are the only ones I covet...

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. I love my LR3, but given the $38k price limit you should be able to get into an LR4 for around that. I plan to trade off my LR3 in the next year or two for an LR4. :D

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have both...LR3 & LR4. We were going to trade the LR3 in for an LR4 but our LR3 has had excellent reliability so we decided to keep the LR3 & sell my Audi allroad instead.

As CMGRover noted, given your price range, get an LR4. It will be hard to find a lower mileage LR3 and many will need new suspension parts and maybe even an expensive differential replacement.

Land Rover improved the LR4 over the LR3 - stronger engine being the most obvious upgrade. But so many little things as well...more modern dash, better leather, better nav & radio, no squeaky door grab handles, wider range of intermittent wiper speeds, hinged wipers that you can lift away from the windshield, LED taillights, no fading black plastic, more heated seat settings, USB/ipod integration and probably more things I have not noticed yet. If you buy a mity-vac, DIY oil changes are easier on the LR4 as well.

To get an LR3 with more features, (Xenons, memory seats, nav, better radio, etc.) you would need to get the HSE model which came with 19" wheels. Our LR3 is an HSE and the 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ tires work just fine off road.

We have owned a variety of good SUVs including a couple of MDX's and a Q7 but the LR3/LR4 is just the most useful SUV you will ever own. Air suspension handles heavy loads, best third row space, flexible folding seat options and more. The biggest surprise has been good reliability, something we never expected from a Land Rover.

gamaray

Reaction score
We have both...LR3 & LR4. We were going to trade the LR3 in for an LR4 but our LR3 has had excellent reliability so we decided to keep the LR3 & sell my Audi allroad instead.

As CMGRover noted, given your price range, get an LR4. It will be hard to find a lower mileage LR3 and many will need new suspension parts and maybe even an expensive differential replacement.

Land Rover improved the LR4 over the LR3 - stronger engine being the most obvious upgrade. But so many little things as well...more modern dash, better leather, better nav & radio, no squeaky door grab handles, wider range of intermittent wiper speeds, hinged wipers that you can lift away from the windshield, LED taillights, no fading black plastic, more heated seat settings, USB/ipod integration and probably more things I have not noticed yet. If you buy a mity-vac, DIY oil changes are easier on the LR4 as well.

To get an LR3 with more features, (Xenons, memory seats, nav, better radio, etc.) you would need to get the HSE model which came with 19" wheels. Our LR3 is an HSE and the 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ tires work just fine off road.

We have owned a variety of good SUVs including a couple of MDX's and a Q7 but the LR3/LR4 is just the most useful SUV you will ever own. Air suspension handles heavy loads, best third row space, flexible folding seat options and more. The biggest surprise has been good reliability, something we never expected from a Land Rover.
Thank you everyone for your prompt reply! It really helps! So now I'm leaning towards to a LR4. I see quite a few 2010 and 2011 LR4s within my price range. Is there any difference between these two model years ?

I will try to look for one with HD package for the rear differential lock but will probably be hard to find one. What else should I be aware of ? What should I be cautious about when purchase ?

My understanding is that there are base model (small navigation screen maybe ?), HSE, HSE LUX (back entertainment TVs ?) model ? what exactly are the difference between these three trims ?

Thank you again for your help !

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gamaray, post that question regarding the difference between 2010/2011 LR4 models in the LR4 forum.

If going used, you might as well go HSE or HSE-LUX. The difference won't be that much, as the model upgrades depreciate the most.

I know we went HSE-LUX for the nicer leather, upgraded radio and memory seats.

er1c

Reaction score
Go with the LR4. The LR3 is looking dated next to the LR4's cosmetic improvements. Plus the interior is much nicer, too. A lot of updated parts in the suspension and whatnot. Treat yourself to a 2-3 year old LR4 in your price range.

(Coming from an LR3 owner.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV