Installed a few accessories - tow question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry pictures will follow tonight.

I installed the 2nd row seat covers and they are very nice. Didn't take that long either. Maybe 15-20 minutes. I also put in the hitch, and all the mats. Easy stuff.

Installed the tow hitch electrics. Straightforward job. Maybe 30-45 minutes. The most time-consuming thing was removing/putting back the full-size spare wheel.

I do have a question. The manual has a pictogram that suggests some kind of programming. Is this necessary? I get 12V at the 4-pin connector, so that seems to work.

Is it a matter of letting the car know that you are towing something so that the anti-sway or other fancy system work?

I need to tow something today (light, low speeds, around town), so I am hoping the brake lights light up and U-haul lets me rent the trailer. As long as I can tow today, I will get the car programmed later this week.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the LR, but on my BMW coding was needed to enable different camera functions (hitch zoom/line up feature) as well as altering stability control to recognize that a trailer was there and stability and braking response were altered to account for the trailer. I would assume LR has similar systems.

I'm sure for light load, local towing you are fine for now.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a matter of letting the car know that you are towing something so that the anti-sway or other fancy system work?

Yes. All of the trailer lights will continue to work, but the dealer needs to turn on tow assist which will than show the trailer icon in your dash and enable the stability control software.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry pictures will follow tonight.

I installed the 2nd row seat covers and they are very nice. Didn't take that long either. Maybe 15-20 minutes. I also put in the hitch, and all the mats. Easy stuff.

Now that it has been 2 years, how have the seat covers held up? I take it that you have kids as you only did the 2nd row? Did you end up getting them for the front seats? Do they stay pretty clean and repel dirt and water? How often do you remove and clean them? I was told by the parts guy in the Buckhead Dealership in Atlanta that they were not easy to install and took a good bit of time. Of course he probably wants me to pay for labor...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV