Installing LR3 Xenon's into an LR4 with halogens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of LR3 xenon headlights with ballast. My 2012 LR4 has the standard halogen bulbs, and I hate that my LR3 had Xenons and my newer, nicer LR4 only has halogens.

Has anyone heard of swapping the LR3 bulbs and ballast into an LR4 headlight unit?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 halogen housings are made for halogen bulbs, which have a different filament shape and light-point than a xenon bulb. You'd probably be better-served to sell your LR3 housings on eBay and buy some non-adaptive LR4 xenon housings on eBay. As a reference, I got my LR4 xenon housings for around $550, if I recall correctly. Not sure how much the LR3 housings can be sold for.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the LR4 non adaptive xenon headlights just drop in? Do I have to do any software adjustments?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the LR4 non adaptive xenon headlights just drop in? Do I have to do any software adjustments?

Technically, you are supposed to update the ECU to inform it that the vehicle has xenons fitted. You can do this using the GAP Diagnostic tool.

My newly-fitted xenons worked in the few minutes I had them on before doing the software update. That said, could cause issues long-term.

mshale

Reaction score
I’m interested in upgrading my ‘13 headlamps to the ‘14+ headlamps.

If someone can give me some info on this upgrade, I’d sell my AFS lamps to someone here.

I see a bunch on eBay but I’m confused on all the different part numbers. Some say:
EH22-13W029-JD for RH
EH22-13W029-JE for RH
LR052383 for RH
And
EH22-13W030-JD for LH

I’m not sure what to get.

mshale

Reaction score
You will have to get a new grill as well. Have you seen records of people doing this before?

I have only seen the guys at PowerfulUK do it. I'm in the US, but the process should still be the same I assume. I have an ARB bumber, so I shouldn't have to worry with the resulting gap at the bottom from the new housings. I did know about the grill, and I was going to replace this one anyway as it's a bit faded. Looks like the PO painted it.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only seen the guys at PowerfulUK do it. I'm in the US, but the process should still be the same I assume. I have an ARB bumber, so I shouldn't have to worry with the resulting gap at the bottom from the new housings. I did know about the grill, and I was going to replace this one anyway as it's a bit faded. Looks like the PO painted it.

I've seen their videos on the headlight swaps. Do you have the '13 xenon's or halogens? Sounds need a GAP tool regardless to turn on the DRL's.

mshale

Reaction score
I've seen their videos on the headlight swaps. Do you have the '13 xenon's or halogens? Sounds need a GAP tool regardless to turn on the DRL's.

I have the adaptive xenon. They have DRLs also. I think they will be a direct swap for me. I have the GAP tool just in case.

Saltyfly

Reaction score
I just completed a full HID retrofit on my ‘12 LR4 Halogen headlights. Involved disassembling the headlights, removing the Valeo H7 Halogen Projector, & installing HID Projectors & Ballasts. Quite a project, but well worth the outcome.

FCE8FE09-E852-4CFA-8C3F-6F42864B4D00.jpeg

07FEE04B-D193-4117-8291-5B596BF764DE.jpeg

AD60B3DF-C90C-4139-860B-FD4E4E0BECB9.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi