Intake Valve Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have a few questions i’d like to ask you all in regards to the valves on our DI engines. I’m not experiencing any issues with the motor, but i know they’re prone to carbon build up on top of the valves. I just want to do some preventative maintenance as the truck has 89k miles. I’m a bit lazy/cheap to do walnut blasting as of yet. Is it okay to buy CRC cleaner or Seafoam and spraying it down the throttle body? Would that make a difference in cleaning off the gunk? My plan was to do a can a week for a month which would be 4 treatments. Is it worth it or just a waste of time? Also what cleaner should i go ahead with. Let me know honestly people. Thanks a lot for all your inputs!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Is it okay to buy CRC cleaner or Seafoam and spraying it down the throttle body?
Yes, it's recommended that you actually run BG44k. BUT, CRC or Seafoam is fine. If you're looking for something that'll quickly decarbonizing, I'd suggest plain old water in a fine mist spray bottle. Take your time and spray once every 5 seconds and you'll need less than 1 cup of water.

Would that make a difference in cleaning off the gunk?
It makes a huge difference. Smoother idle, better fuel (probably less than 1 mpg), better throttle response, and what not.

It's easy to do and it'll save your engine. I need to walnut blast it again...

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam spray into the throttle body made a huge difference in our 2013 LR4 with 97k or so on i . Should have done it sooner. It's kind of a pain to get the nozzle in there and you have to go slow but it was worth it.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam spray into the throttle body made a huge difference in our 2013 LR4 with 97k or so on i . Should have done it sooner. It's kind of a pain to get the nozzle in there and you have to go slow but it was worth it.
What rpm did you hold it at whilst spraying?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's recommended that you actually run BG44k. BUT, CRC or Seafoam is fine. If you're looking for something that'll quickly decarbonizing, I'd suggest plain old water in a fine mist spray bottle. Take your time and spray once every 5 seconds and you'll need less than 1 cup of water.

It makes a huge difference. Smoother idle, better fuel (probably less than 1 mpg), better throttle response, and what not.

It's easy to do and it'll save your engine. I need to walnut blast it again...
Thanks for this!

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts of the safety of using CRC upstream of their supercharger? Still effective when pushed through the SC and charge air cooler? Any change of it messing up the supercharger ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV