Interesting 1/4 rack option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was skimming craigslist and noticed that some dude had a brand new small OEM Land Rover rack for sale. It is made to clamp onto the crossbars of a stock setup, but looked like it would not be of very good use as it would be hard to reach..

So I took some measurements to see if I could mount this rack sideways directly into my roof rails, in a sort of 1/4 rack configuration.. This would get a couple of bags and a cooler out of the trunk space so I could use the rear seats again..

Turns out that it worked.. $75 roof rack, and I got the LR gear bag that fits into it...

Attachments

• 20160807_171129.jpg
    20160807_171129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20160809_185026.jpg
    20160809_185026.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recognize the luggage carrier as a LR OEM accessory. Interesting hack! Is there some reason that it would only mount sideways directly to your rails (without crossbars)? I would be interested in any details. Also, it appears to extend slightly beyond the corner edge of the roofline, but not beyond the widest part of the main body of the LR, is that correct?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rack is shaped like a rectangle, so it wont reach the roof rails if it is set in the normal direction- it's too thin.. But if mounted sideways with the clips fully extended it fits like a glove.. The hardware on the rack is made to slide into grooves in the crossbars, it just so happens that the will also slide into the roof rails if you put it on sideways..

It's been on for 2 days now, and I've have had a handful of people comment on it.. It looks pretty sharp up there and is rated for 220lbs.. I'll post more pics, those last ones don't do it justice..

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV