Interference engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

alan_messer

I'm wondering if the LR V8 is an interference engine. I.e. one on which if the serpentine belt fails leads to value/piston damage?

I've looked around and can't find any concrete info.

My serpentine belt is cracked, but I'm wondering if I can wait a while to fix it with my other problems (coolant, oil leak problems).

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If the serpentine belt breaks, the water pump will no longer work which will cause the engine to overheat... just as bad as valve damage... But the serpentine belt has nothing to due with the cam or the cranks ability to keep the valves going.

Ask me how I know..... broke my serpentine belt while pulling a trailer.... overheats fast, so I got off the road fast and put a new belt on.... no issues other than letting the engine cool down.

A

alan_messer

FYI: I looked into this a bit more and can confirm Joey's summary. Values are run via pushrods and a timing chain. So the serpentine going is not a problem to the value (only the other systems).

Not sure what happens if the timing chain goes..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you lose the timing chain it will not be pretty.... very expensive fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72