Intro and oil type/interval/filter questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe77

Reaction score
Hello all I am new to the LR world and I have a few questions I was hoping to get sorted out. I recently purchased a 2013 LR4 from my friend and original owner. It has 136K KM on the clock and it has the 5L engine and heavy duty package. All of the scheduled maintenance is up to date and completed by the dealer. It's a pretty sweet ride I have to say and a nice improvement over the 2008 Lexus GX470 that I am replacing. In regards to reliability I'm kind of questioning myself on the wisdom of replacing a Lexus with a Land Rover but I have seen what this rig is capable of off-road and I know that this LR has been very well taken care of so I thought I'd roll the dice and jump in. I just recently replaced the water pump and the coolant crossover pipe and I plan on doing the majority of work on this unit. It is now time for and oil change and I was quite surprised when the previous owner told me of the oil change interval. He has been doing the oil change on an annual basis as this has been less than the recommended interval for KM. I think he said it was something like 14K KM which IMHO seems a bit long. My plan is to shorten it up to maybe about 10K KM or a bit less. He has been using Amsoil thus far and LR oil filters I'm assuming because the dealer has been doing all the servicing. I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic and I was considering continuing with that trend due to the high cost of the Amsoil but I was curious to hear others experiences and recommendations. Is the Amsoil worth the 4X cost over the Mobile one? would I be better off to change the oil twice as often and go with Mobile 1? I think on my initial oil change I will send in a sample to Blackstone and this may help answer some of my questions but I am curious to hear what others have been doing. Also, what oil filters are recommended? I would imagine the LR ones would probably be best, or at least the most expensive? Rock Auto has what appears to be a decent filter for $20ish (Canadian dollars) and it filters down to 23 microns. The next cheapest filter is $10 and filters to 30 microns.

I have done multiple searches and thumbed through many pages and have not been able to find any threads related to this. I'm sure many are in here somewhere but I can't find. Please don't flame me too badly!

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to being a contributing member on this forum.

Take care

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the filter I've been running without issue: ACDelco Gold PF659 Engine Oil Filter - It seems identical to the OEM filter, and not the paper like clones.

I also have been running Mobil 1 5W-20 for the last 60,000 miles or so.

I change oil every 7,500 miles, so about 12,000 km. This is half the factory recommended interval. I would not go any higher.

As far as Amsoil, I think that's more of a question for bobistheoilguy.com

I'd run the Mobil 1 for a change and send the oil analysis in to blackstone, I've used them before and been happy. There's a forum member here that is posting info from them as well.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 with 90k miles on it owned for 3yrs. Initially I used the stupidly priced Castrol edge pro, but do not trust the extended interval. Plus the price must compensate for fewer dealer oil changes right?
Now I use luiquimoly which supposedly meets spec. Change twice a year every 6k miles or so.
Use German Mann filters.
I don't really trust any anecdotal engine oil recommendations personally, as engine wear incremental, so your average owner is not going to ever appreciate whether their oil is better or worse than any other. Frequent changes much more important IMO. I am in Canada too!!

Attachments

• 20211001_185035.jpg
    20211001_185035.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 53

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off the LR4 has a large sump so while yearly 14k kms is long it isn't death. Mann/Mahle filters are generally fine. They are all made in China anyhow. I use Mobil1 5W-20EP and dump every 8k kms.Can find at crappy tire at 50% off now and then $30/5L Cdn. Buy a mityvac and top side the oil through the brass orifice in the oil filler access. Easiest oil change ever.

My LR4 sees about 12-15k kms per year and this is what I do: Spring: oil/filter. Fall: oil only. I have been running this way for 10 years. Took the first few filters apart and they had very little so I am comfortable with it. I am more worried about old oil making it's way through the PCV and dirtying up the back side of the intake valves. AS I mentioned a mityvac is your friend. Nice buy.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover filters are Mahle.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly I think most come from the same chinese factory

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a bit of a prejudicial thing, Germany = good, China = bad, right? Just like Japan in the 1970s. I would second getting a mityvac. Makes an oil change a breeze. Don't even need to put work clothes on as it is so quick, and mess free. Also handy for e.g. power steering fluid change. Did mine last weekend. 15 min job.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the OE spec Castrol and filter from FCP every 5k. Oil changes now cost me $18 as I return the old oil for LT warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA