Introducing myself and my 2015 LR4 with ARB Bull Bar - Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Zimmer

Reaction score
Hey LR World,

I’m Ryan from Kansas City and here is my new obsession, this 2015 LR4 HSE complete with an ARB Bull Bar. I also own a 2011 LR2. It was pure luck we found this Disco with the amazing aftermarket ARB bar, which I think is very rare in the US, at least around here. If interested in my question, please read on, if not then it’s nice to e-meet you all.

Sorry to ask the age old question and I promise I’ve dug deeply through the threads prior to asking but I am planning to replace the stock 19” wheels with something else. I see a lot of people making the case to switch to 18” wheels like the Compomotives, along with some others like TuffAnt. I definitely do not want to entertain spacers or other mods needed so those would be good options. However my wife is not entirely sold on the 18” smaller wheel look, so I’m trying to figure out other options in the 19” size. I should mention that while I can’t wait to get this vehicle off the paved road, I also am not likely to do anything too advanced, at least until I get some more experience under my timing belt.

Seems on here a lot of people say a big reason for getting into 18” wheels are for proper off-road tire choices. However, when I go to tirerack.com they have more tire options in the stock (255/55 R19) size than in the (255/60 R18) size. 1) Is there something I’m searching wrong here because in my research I’m finding less options in the 18” wheel size? 2) Other than having more sidewall, is there any other reason I would regret sticking with 19” wheels for occasional off-road use? 3) Anybody have a good wheel suggestion in 19” because I’m not loving the options on tirerack.com for wheels that fit the LR4.

Thanks to anyone who has some input and happy driving!

View media item 501View media item 503

Toothbob

Reaction score
Great looking truck. Welcome.
I’m sure much more knowledgeable people will chime in but let me try and answer from my limited experience.
18” gives you more options but most people are looking to upsize from the stock size, and having more sidewall allows you to air down for more traction and reduces the chances of slicing a sidewall.
However, I would honestly think about what type of off roading you are considering. If it’s fire roads, soft road kind of terrain there is nothing wrong with 19s. It might make sense to just put a more aggressive tire on and get out there and see how things go.
If you decide 19s do the trick, you might look at other Land Rover wheels and see if you like a different style better. You can often time find them on Craigslist etc or buy used sets on eBay.
Johnson Rods has a breakdown of a bunch of available tires for our rigs. They lean towards everything “needing rods” so take that with a grain of salt.
https://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_3_005.htm
Picture of my Rover because I can. It’s running LR3 18” rims with spacers, BFG AT in 265/65R18s which requires some trimming to clear at full lock (~31.5”).

901147D4-10E9-4832-9B38-244CF16F0F4E.jpeg

Last edited:

Stuart Bicknell

Reaction score
Same here, Just purchased a 2010 LR4 and yes I would also like to know more about tire and wheel selection. I see Lucky8 do a set of steel that will allow for 18" Tires. Trouble is, im in Canada and I am not sure if the ship. Waiting for a response from them. What 19" options are there?

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, Just purchased a 2010 LR4 and yes I would also like to know more about tire and wheel selection. I see Lucky8 do a set of steel that will allow for 18" Tires. Trouble is, im in Canada and I am not sure if the ship. Waiting for a response from them. What 19" options are there?
[mention]Stuart Bicknell [/mention] You might start here - although this is focused pretty much strictly on 18" options. https://troyangrignon.com/wheels-and-tires-for-the-land-rover-discovery-lr4/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben Myton

Reaction score
I had my LR4 on some dirt trails this past weekend and was satisfied with the performance of the Cooper Zeon LTZ at 255/55r19

I didn’t air down, but the trail was pretty dry and I skipped the main boulder garden.

This is not my video and the trail has some minor changes since this was taken but it gives a good general impression of what’s out there:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Your best bet off roading is to get 18s, you'll open lots of doors for tire selections. 19s don't really have what you want and not all places will carry 19s, especially when you're out in the middle of no where and the closest mom 'n pop shop is 20 miles away.

18s will get you different tire widths (255, 265, 275, 285, etc...) and ratios (70 or 75) at cheaper prices than 19s.

The selling point to your wife is when you're out in the middle of no where, those shops will carry something in 18s vs 19s. Imagine if you sliced 2 or more sidewalls on a single trail and you can't get out?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72