"invalid disk" warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get an "invalid disk" warning on my 6-CD changer in my 2005 SE7; and the stereo kicks out the disk. At first, this was an intermittent problem solved by cleaning the CD. Now, it happens virtually every time I insert a CD.

Anyone else have this problem? I assume I'll have to have the whole stereo replaced. Even though I am betting it is a filthy laser read head.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your mileage? If you are under warrenty, they will simply replace the head unit (stereo). Mine was eating disks and not returning them, they replaced it, all is well now.

If you are not under warrenty, you might try a good (high end) stereo shop to see if they can remove, dissamble, and clean the unit. I would have to imagine that would be cheaper than replacing it on your own.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my mileage has reached 54,000 mi -- so no warranty. I think I'll ask the dealer what their strategy would be.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a "dry" laser head cleaner for automobile use from Amazon. I'll let everyone know how/if it works.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It worked!

I just ordered a "dry" laser head cleaner for automobile use from Amazon. I'll let everyone know how/if it works.

The product was the Maxell Dry Automobile CD Lens Cleaner. It has three tracks: 1 and 3 are music and 2 is the cleaner track, with brushes attached. Because the CD changer would not recognize CDs, it took a 2 hour drive on Saturday for the player to finally accept the cleaner CD (awesome fun putting a CD in and out 1200 times). When it accepted it, I ran the cleaner track 5 times. And now the CD player accepts and plays all CDs instantly. And, it sounds a boatload better too. That saved a bunch of money.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. It was interesting to find out (although I guess I should have known it already) from the Maxell package that once the CD player is so smudged it won't accept a CD, you can't fix it. I intend to use the Maxell repair disk often now--before problems occur. I just ran it in my other car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72