iPhone Cable Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkrichter

Reaction score
Hi everyone — new to the board here, but have always browsed for help.

I have a 2011 LR4 Black Metropolis Edition in case anyone was interested in knowing, but my question has to do with the iPod cable connection. I have never used it before, just relying on my USB stick to do the trick. But with the recent release of iTunes Radio and iTunes Match (basically providing you with your entire library on your iPhone) I thought it would be a good idea to try the cable out.

I bought this cable from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Land-Rover-Discovery-interface/dp/B0084UJMS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381146388&sr=8-1&keywords=land+rover+ipod+cable

I have an iPhone 5s, so I also bought the lightning to 30-pin connector (from Apple, not a third party one). When I connect everything it charges my iPhone, but I get this message: "device error" and it doesn't play my music.

Do you think the cable I bought is third market and not a good idea to use or do you think there could be a problem with my wires from the armrest to the dashboard? Or maybe both? Haha. I guess my real question is whether anyone has been able to use iOS7 and iTunes Radio/Match with their Land Rover using the connection cable?

Thanks!

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can but I have a 2012 and the connection is different (straight usb connection). I will defer to those who use the cables...

rkrichter

Reaction score
I can but I have a 2012 and the connection is different (straight usb connection). I will defer to those who use the cables...

So what you are saying is I should probably just buy a newer LR? Haha just joking. Thanks for the response. Hopefully I get some advice from fellow cable connectors.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 and use the same set up than you do.

iPhone cord (purchased from LR directly), 30 pin to lightning connector (purchased from Apple, I got the one with a short cord for $40). All this to connected my iPhone 5S with iOS 7 and everything works great this way.

My wife has an iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and it also works flawlessly.

You might want to check your knock off cord purchased off of eBay or Amazon... Make sure it's plugged into the iPod socket and not the USB.

rkrichter

Reaction score
I have a 2010 and use the same set up than you do.

iPhone cord (purchased from LR directly), 30 pin to lightning connector (purchased from Apple, I got the one with a short cord for $40). All this to connected my iPhone 5S with iOS 7 and everything works great this way.

My wife has an iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and it also works flawlessly.

You might want to check your knock off cord purchased off of eBay or Amazon... Make sure it's plugged into the iPod socket and not the USB.

Thanks for the response. It definitely is connected to the iPod socket as it's the only one the end of the chord fits into. Everything seems to be connected pretty securely in my opinion, but it just could be that it's a knockoff and doesn't transfer correctly. It says that the item is posted for sale by "Land Rover" so I figured it to be legit, but probably not.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with iOS7 before calling my dealership, so again, thanks for the response. Now that I know iOS7 works I'll call my dealership and see if they have a cable on hand and we can test that out and make sure it's not my wires in my LR4 and if it's good to go I'll just purchase the legit cable from them.

I have the non-cable adapter for my iPhone, which is really annoying for my case, but otherwise I doubt there would be a difference between using that adapter and the one with a cable so I highly doubt that has anything to do with my issues - just might be more convenient in regards to keeping my case on my phone (just a heads up to anyone else looking to go this route).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the non-cable adapter for my iPhone, which is really annoying for my case, but otherwise I doubt there would be a difference between using that adapter and the one with a cable so I highly doubt that has anything to do with my issues - just might be more convenient in regards to keeping my case on my phone (just a heads up to anyone else looking to go this route).

I agree with you. The adapter is most likely not the issue (unless it's not an original - sometimes they do not work).

I initially had purchased the leather case made by Apple and could not fit the connector through the bottom opening. I returned it.

The difference between the cable adapter and the regular one is that you don't have to deal with the large flat part it actually resembles more the one that comes with the charger. Very thin (yet still too wide for the case designed by Apple!!!).

Axel

rkrichter

Reaction score
I called my dealership and I'm still waiting to hear back from the actual service manager. I just talked to a lady who knows nothing about iPods or iPhones haha. She said something interesting though, that they can get me the "old iPod connection cable" but not the "new one". I asked if that meant if they were coming out with one that has a lightning end, but she had no idea what I was talking about. If that is what it means, I have no problem with the 30 pin cable as I have an adapter (especially if it is still months away from being able to get a "new cable").

I hooked my third party Amazon iPod connection cable up to my 4s (30 pin) and it still read as "device error" so I'm thinking (hoping) it's this cable and not something in my LR wires as I am past my warranty. So, hopefully I get a hold of the service manager and maybe they'll let me at least test one of their cables out to make sure it's not my wires in my LR. And if it works, I'll just purchase their cable.

But does anyone know what she might mean by "old cable" and "new cable"? Is there an even older cable that would not work at all on my 2011, or do you think this means they are coming out with a lightning cable? If I get more answers from the service manager I'll post it on here.

And Axel, that is garbage Apple products don't work with Apple products haha.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4, so I don't use an ipod cable. But, the USB wiring has been damaged twice; I was getting a "device error" or "device not recognized" error when connecting a USB device. I don't exactly recall the cause of the damage, but my dealer had to replace the internal USB wiring both times. Your problem may be an internal wiring issue?

rkrichter

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4, so I don't use an ipod cable. But, the USB wiring has been damaged twice; I was getting a "device error" or "device not recognized" error when connecting a USB device. I don't exactly recall the cause of the damage, but my dealer had to replace the internal USB wiring both times. Your problem may be an internal wiring issue?

I'm hoping not because I'm past warranty. My USB does connect and work so I'm hoping it's just a bad third-party cable in regards to my iPod connection. We'll see. I can never get a hold of this service manager. :mad:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my dealership and I'm still waiting to hear back from the actual service manager. I just talked to a lady who knows nothing about iPods or iPhones haha. She said something interesting though, that they can get me the "old iPod connection cable" but not the "new one". I asked if that meant if they were coming out with one that has a lightning end, but she had no idea what I was talking about. If that is what it means, I have no problem with the 30 pin cable as I have an adapter (especially if it is still months away from being able to get a "new cable").

I hooked my third party Amazon iPod connection cable up to my 4s (30 pin) and it still read as "device error" so I'm thinking (hoping) it's this cable and not something in my LR wires as I am past my warranty. So, hopefully I get a hold of the service manager and maybe they'll let me at least test one of their cables out to make sure it's not my wires in my LR. And if it works, I'll just purchase their cable.

But does anyone know what she might mean by "old cable" and "new cable"? Is there an even older cable that would not work at all on my 2011, or do you think this means they are coming out with a lightning cable? If I get more answers from the service manager I'll post it on here.

And Axel, that is garbage Apple products don't work with Apple products haha.

It would be pretty cool if LR would come up with a lightning connector cable. I'd get that. Less stuff to deal with.

Apple sucks sometimes.

Let us know what you find out.

Axel

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV