iphone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone upgrade their iPhones while owning a LR4? Just curious if it was trouble free, or if you needed to wait for an update from LR to use all the functions of the new phone (wired and Bluetooth)

Right now, my iPhone 4 works flawlessly with my 2012 lr4....Unsure if i want to be an early adopter and get the new 5....

While past experiences might not be related to my current concerns, i was curious....

thx

chris

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 2010 LR4, i am able to use both my old 3GS and 4. Iphone 5 obviously won't work without the adapter...

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's usually a function (or malfunction!) of the bluetooth stack, which I believe has stayed the same for iPhone 5.

The change to the bottom edge connector in the iPhone 5 may be problematic - you can still get audio out (with an adapter from Apple) but my understanding is that remote control functions won't work from the steering wheel for example.

Of course until someone actually plugs an iPhone 5 in next week, it's mostly speculation ;-)

I'm sticking with my 4S for now....the latest BT update in my LR3 allowed the phone book to come over which is fine.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder about the new connector. So, its just one end that changed, the side that connects to the phone. I believe the new lighting cable has the same usb connection at the other end. So you wont need an adapter to connect to an LR4, you just use your new cable....now, what sort of commands that can be transmitted, thats going to be interesting.

I do hope you are right about bluetooth....as using the phone or streaming music is what is most important to me....if hard wire connecting it to the rover doesn't work, i can always use an older iPod for music, but not being able to use my new phone handsfree...that would really be a pain...

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read the reason there is a loss of some function and the expense of the adaptors is that the old 30 pin connector was analog and the new one is digital. No idea what effect that might have on the USB at the other end.

But I don't see any immediate reason why bluetooth hands free would be affected for calls and possibly streaming audio, although I have never attempted the audio as I have a nice little Griffin Pilot cable in my LR3 and it works a treat with a cast off iPod nano.....

oliver

Reaction score
I hooked up my iPhone 5 yesterday (to my 2012 LR4). Phone and music audio worked fine, but not the audio for turn by turn directions, except when the Bluetooth audio was already activated for a phone call (maybe there's a way to get it to keep the Bluetooth audio connection active for directions, but none stood out). So pretty much everything will work the same as for your iPhone 4 (which is what I had before). I just went into the phone section, deleted the old phone, and paired the new one (with the same name), and it works just like the old one.

You don't need an adapter. The lightning connector doesn't have analog audio (so the adapter has a chip to convert it from the digital signal from the phone), but the rover seems to use the iPod control interface to transfer the music digitally, so it's not needed.

darthbeldar

Reaction score
Just picked up LR4 HSE LUX Orkney Grey with Almond interior. Iphone 5 works with bluetooth as well as lightning to usb cable. Did have to plug it into USB labled port, not Iphone labled usb port.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 lr4 hse lux and when I plug my lightening cable into the USB it say device error. If I use the lr4 iPhone/iPod plug with a iPhone 4 to 5 adaptor it say device error. If I just plug an iPhone 4 in it works....

Software update?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few days away from getting an iPhone 5S.
Have you guys used the adapter on a 2010 LR4? Or does anyone know if LR sells a new cable for the lightning connector?
Thank you

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Apple lightning adapter attached to the LR cable with my iphone 5 and it works flawlessly.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV