iPod reading "Device Error"...Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I have posted. My LR4 has been flawless and perfect and amazing for almost a year now. I love this car more than words.... Anyhoo, I have a questions about an issue I am having all of a sudden with my iPod connection. All I listen to in the car is my iPod Nano which I have continuously hooked up to my iPod cable in the car. It has worked like a pro all year and then suddenly the other day, when I went to turn on the car, it said "connecting iPod" and then it said "device error." So, of course I unplugged it and let it stay off for awhile and tried hooking it up again with the same outcome. So then I thought maybe my Nano was shot and so I tried hooking up my iPhone 4 up to the car and got the same error message.

Anyone else have this happen all of a sudden? I live about 1 hr and 45 mins from the nearest dealer and I would love to find a homegrown solution to this issue like a reset button or something I dont know about. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance! I miss my music....It has been a long time since I have had to listen to the radio....I dont know what to do with myself...LOL..

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey UGAgirl97,

It's been a long time, great to see you here again. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your iPod Nano. I primarily listen to the radio, but once in a while will hook up my iPhone and it works fine; however, once I had a similar issue after I upgraded the OS on my iPhone and then re-synced my iPhone.

I have also heard some people who solved the problem with their iPods if they re-sync (especially if it's been a while). I hope this helps somewhat... hopefully other folks will have some good advice as well.

Don't be a stranger on here!

-David

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gotten the device error message quite a few times. I use the iPod cable with my iPhone. I think I may have damaged the cable by stretching it too far. When my husband is driving, we would listen to Pandora using the iPod cable. But I would stretch the cable so that I can still play with my iPhone. For me, unplugging and replugging usually does the trick. Sometimes I also need to push and jiggle the connector -- the end that connects to the car.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey UGAgirl97,

It's been a long time, great to see you here again. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your iPod Nano. I primarily listen to the radio, but once in a while will hook up my iPhone and it works fine; however, once I had a similar issue after I upgraded the OS on my iPhone and then re-synced my iPhone.

I have also heard some people who solved the problem with their iPods if they re-sync (especially if it's been a while). I hope this helps somewhat... hopefully other folks will have some good advice as well.

Don't be a stranger on here!

-David

Hi David :) Great to hear from you again! I have been so busy and have not been on the forum like I would like.... Hope you're doing well!

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gotten the device error message quite a few times. I use the iPod cable with my iPhone. I think I may have damaged the cable by stretching it too far. When my husband is driving, we would listen to Pandora using the iPod cable. But I would stretch the cable so that I can still play with my iPhone. For me, unplugging and replugging usually does the trick. Sometimes I also need to push and jiggle the connector -- the end that connects to the car.

Thanks for the response Waltzonice... I have tried unplugging the cable and plugging it back into the car with no success. I will try giggling it like you mentioned. I keep my ipod velcroed to the top of the box in the middle, so my cord doesnt get stretched. I am thinking the cord has just gone bad b/c my ipod works fine on its own and so does my phone and it was working like a charm and then just stopped. I wonder if they will charge me for a new one? I am due for my 15K tune up so I will bring this up with them. I am lost without my iPod music.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Waltzonice... I have tried unplugging the cable and plugging it back into the car with no success. I will try giggling it like you mentioned. I keep my ipod velcroed to the top of the box in the middle, so my cord doesnt get stretched. I am thinking the cord has just gone bad b/c my ipod works fine on its own and so does my phone and it was working like a charm and then just stopped. I wonder if they will charge me for a new one? I am due for my 15K tune up so I will bring this up with them. I am lost without my iPod music.
I would definitely bring it up at your 15,000/1 year maintenance appointment. Just let them know that you think the cord is faulty and maybe they will give you a new one! :)

Keep us posted and best of luck!

-David

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely bring it up at your 15,000/1 year maintenance appointment. Just let them know that you think the cord is faulty and maybe they will give you a new one! :)
Definitely! And even if they don't give you a new cord, they should at least try and determine if the problem is indeed the cord, or if it's something else.

Dr DJW

Reaction score
Make sure there are music files loaded on your device

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV