Is a LR right for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian5o

Reaction score
Ok, I am getting ready to buy a new vehicle, looked at every possible option, yet I cannot sell my self on any vehicle aside from a rover. So here is my question: I am looking to pay around 15k for a 2000-2004 Disco with under 60k miles. I've found quite a few within my area (DFW,TX) that falls within this range. Assuming the vehicle has been maintained on a somewhat regular basis by an average car owner, would I really have to be replacing critical components on a regular basis (every couple of months) like I have read about from so many sites or are those just horror stories? I understand that this vehicle will be a bit heavier on the wallet than the Camry as far as gas and insurance goes (I'm 20:eek:) and that is not a problem, the preventive maintenance and time spent under/in the engine compartment is not an issue but would I be better off with a Jeep or Toyota 4x4? It would be my only vehicle (after I sell the toyo) and would serve as my daily driver/weekend warrior. I apologize for the long post but from what I have seen on this site, the more info the better/more helpful and accurate answers you recieve.

-Brian

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First let me say you are doing better then some... at least you are willing to research.

If you are going for a 2000 - 2004 MY, my recommendation is buy the newest one that you can afford. Like any vehicle ever made the last MY (Model year) has all the improvements for the body or engine type prior to introducing an all new type.

As far as reliablility again it is not only did the last person take care of the vehicle, but like every vehicle built including Toyota or Jeep, if you search their respective forums you will find horror stories about reliability. My parents use to own a Toyota 4x4 with no issues, but they had a Jeep grand Cherokee that was in the shop more than on the road, then they bought a brand new Chevy Tahoe that Chevy ended up replacing both front and rear drive train as well as the entire brake system (brakes would stop working for no reason). So after about 10k miles and 4 brake jobs, my dad traded it in.

My 97 Disco has had very little in the way of stopping dead in its tracks issues okay it has had one, the battery died on my wife while I was out of town. Other than that I have done nothing but preventive/upgrade maintenance. But if you were to read the reviews you would find out that 96 - 98 was one of the worst years for LR.

My recommendation it buy the newest you can get, and take a trusted LR friend with you that can look it over to make sure that at least the basics have been looked after.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would I really have to be replacing critical components on a regular basis (every couple of months)
-Brian

Hello Brian,
I own a 2001 Disco II, and it has been very reliable for me. There are a couple of very common mechanical issues to be aware of on the D2's that you should know before you buy.

The first is the double cardon joint on the front drive shaft being prone to failure. Since this joint is close to the R/H catalytic converter, heat from the converter bakes out the grease in the joint over time. Also the condensation drain tends to drip water on that area. Those two issues together cause the joint to fail prematurely. This failure can cause the front drive shaft to disconnect from the transfer case and cause all kinds of havoc to the engine and transmission. An easy fix for this problem is to change out the u-joints to greasable ones and be diligent at greasing them regularly.

The second issue is the aluminum V-8 engine is prone to coolant leaks. This is a really common problem that can be pricey to fix. It is often due to a bad valley pan gasket and/or head gasket. This is a higher level fix technically, but still a DIY repair if you're mechanically inclined and have the right tools. I had a bad valley pan gasket, and replaced it with an "improved" gasket and I have had no coolant leak problems since.

The only other mechanical issue I have had (besides the above and off-road related breaks) is a bad MAF that caused my Disco to run a little rough (probably due to using a K&N air filter). After fixing these (common) problems, I have not had an expensive or critical repair issue since.
DIIs are excellent vehicles for what they are designed to do. Coil springs, solid axles, V-8, 3:1 low range, traction control, and a dual mode transmission are what make them great off-road vehicles.

brian5o

Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys. So in response to Joey's advice, I should look for an 03 or 04 model? I heard the 03's had a problem with the oil pump, any truth to that? With an 03 or 04 I would most likely be ending up with one over 50k miles, anything I should look for besides them doing the 51k maintenance? That can be somewhat pricey from what I gather so would it be a bad idea to choose one with over 50k miles and completed that maintenance or one that is under 50k? I don't think that a couple thousand miles would make much difference but I've been surprised about these vehicles before. Once again thanks guys for your help and advice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut