Is there an actual speaker fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I

iwhound

I've searched the entire board here and haven't been able to find out if there is actually a recall or solution from LR regarding the buzzing passenger door speaker. I'm taking my truck in next week and want to get it fixed up. The thing buzzes non-stop. Not only when listening to music but Howard Stern or whatever it just buzzes away.
Also, has anyone had any issues with their driver side seat bottom? My driver seat has a small hole on the side of it. All of my cars have had leather interiors and I have never put a hole in one. The leather on this truck seems to be a lot less durable than even some with a much lower price tag. Let me know if anyone has had any issues with that.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've taken HSE to a stereo shop to see if they'd fix it (for a fee), and the standard answer is that the speakers are crap and the only way to fix them is to replace them. Generally, I'd think the guy is just trying to cash a sale, but I think there's some merit to his statement.

Anyone replace speakers in an LR3 with aftermarket? I like music and it just makes me cringe to hear that crackle coming out of two or three speakers. LR3 has replaced them already.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy in Vancouver who replaced them all with high powered Alpine units and a 500w amp. Then he replaced the rear 3rd row seats with built in flush mount twin 10" subs with a 1000w amp. It sounds okay. :)

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked and it's about $750 to replace the door speakers (including tweeters) with some decent aftermarket stuff. That's a tough pill to swallow just for new speakers.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jptruck said:
I've taken HSE to a stereo shop to see if they'd fix it (for a fee), and the standard answer is that the speakers are crap and the only way to fix them is to replace them. Generally, I'd think the guy is just trying to cash a sale...

Generally, I think you are correct.

I have never heard any car stereo shop say anything but that.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't done any inspection of the speakers, he just knows that the ones he sells are good. For me, I think the sound is great, but I do get some rattle at loud bass volumes. That seems to be the installation or just part of the car...not the speaker itself.

quick story - I called up Crutchfield to get new speakers for my old Durango. Spoke to the guy, picked out a nice set for the rears, and he again assured me that whatever I was getting at any price would be better than what Dodge put in there. So, I picked out a midpriced set and wasn't impressed. Other than some fancy packaging and logos, the speakers, side by side, didn't even compare visually (construction quality, depth, size of magnet). AND the sound of the factory speakers was noticeable better...I just had a rattle because the cones were seperating from the frames. I ended up returning the speakers to Crutchfield and fixing my factory speakers with a little contact cement. So, there's a first hand example...

...In my experience, unless you are going to really go all out and replace everything, you'll have more trouble than success with replacements as its tough to get everything perfectly matched and sombody is always telling you that you need to upgrade something else.

Anyway, seems like it'd be a pain to replace/re-amp the stereo and still connect to the stock head unit. Dunno....

Last edited by a moderator:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, that's why I'm not doing it. The speaker sound quality in my stock LR3 HSE system is fine, it's just the annoying crackles that appear on both high and low frequencies. The volume really doesn't matter either. The dealer told me it was a "source" issue (e.g., the music out of the iPod was flawed), but that's crap, and played him five or six songs where the rattle was constantly present. I can't help but think that an aftermarket replacement wouldn't be better, but I was hoping someone else had already taken that leap of faith.

I

iwhound

OK, so I get that you can replace all of the speakers with after market ones, but does Land Rover have a fix for the problem of the buzzing speakers. Has anyone had any success with getting it fixed at the dealership.
I know the HK system doesn't pound like a lot of the after market ones, but it should sound better than it does.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've asked them to fix the problem three times. The last time around they said there was nothing wrong with them and they put "some felt behind the speakers," to stop any possible rattling. Good luck in getting a tech to take the door apart to fix a lowly speaker problem.

pkpro

Reaction score
Had the same buzz as well, complained to dealer, they replaced the amplifier and its all better. They said it was a common problem. Also check the wires from tha amplifier under the passenger seat. They can get loose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi