I've Been An Idiot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as some can recall my numerous post about electrical issues with my LR4.

I had narrowed it down to a CAN Network failure. Given the faults, and their commonality it was the only logical explanation.
I started to look for a indication of a broken harness, failed connector, or a bad module.

Low and behold; harness in the left front wheel well is dangling.
Upon further investigation, I can see broken wires in the harness.
I must have left the harness unattached last time I did brakes (October2016), as I have to move it to remove the wheel well liner to replace the pad wear sensor. The tire has been having a go at it since then. Now we have reach the culmination of failure.

I am hoping it is fixable, and I do not have to replace the entire harness.
Otherwise it will be an expensive mistake on my part, and probable a few nights on the couch, as my wife will not be happy.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it will ease the pain :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I bet that could happen to any of us. Got any pictures?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no... I am really ****** at myself for such a rookie mistake
eff8154abf37bae46296177493f3b291.jpg

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not as bad as it could have been. Thankfully it's salvageable. Still so mad at myself
9e909442d7f033833ff2ad28bd7301bb.jpg

VTBike

Reaction score
Look at it this way - you do your own brakes (and other work i'm sure). That adds up to big dollars saved over time. You're not (i dont think at least) a professional mechanic. Sometimes you screw up, nobodies perfect. I bet you the amount you've saved on doing your own work still far eclipses the cost of this repair.

How can that story not resonate with anyone's wife?!

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a "professional" mechanic for over 7 years (Jaguar and Land Rover Certified, hence the user name ;)). That's why this is so hard to come to terms with. I'll blame it on lack of practice for now.
I have saved a ton over the years doing my own work, also was sure this was the problem prior to sending it to the dealer. But between the 4ft of snow we got this week, and lack of time. I couldn't perform the repair myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut