J.D. Power dependability survey, ouch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its not looking good for land rover still.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/13/j-d-power-vehicle-dependability-at-all-time-high-lexus-and-po/

2013%20VDS.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will hopefully be taking delivery of my 13' LR4 HSE Lux next week, and this is not going to bug me.

Hell, my wife has a lexus, so that makes up for it right?

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly has not been our experience with our 2010 and while a bulletproof SUV, our 2006 Cayenne has had more issues through-out its life.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm JEEP is where it should be, although maybe that ranking is even a bit generous.

Jeep Overland lemonlawed after 5k miles. ZERO issues with LR4 after @7k....

I always thought the LR reviews were a bit harsh....It would be interesting to see if there was some data per platform/model. I was under the impression that the LR4 has been more reliable than the RRS...but that might just be hearsay, i havent seen any empirical data...

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm JEEP is where it should be, although maybe that ranking is even a bit generous.

Jeep Overland lemonlawed after 5k miles. ZERO issues with LR4 after @7k....

I always thought the LR reviews were a bit harsh....It would be interesting to see if there was some data per platform/model. I was under the impression that the LR4 has been more reliable than the RRS...but that might just be hearsay, i havent seen any empirical data...

They don't let you look at any of the data this is based on, which is fishy. I think the LR bad rep is just still haunting it.

LR most likely does have more incidents per 100 vehicles than many other brands, but when I park next too a soul-less appliance, im not going to care about a few more issues. The LR4 may look like a refrigerator (mines even white!) but at least it isn't an appliance.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm always skeptical of this data. My anedotal data. My 2007 Cayman and 2009 Cayenne GTS both had numerous minor and major issues. When I gave back the Cayman at the end of the lease, there were two specific structural issues that could not be resolved - 1) Rear hatch thunk and 2)rear b-pillar glass would rattle over 5KRPMS. I really wanted to elect the purchase option, but could not with the these two issues and the looming problems with the power steering and engines that self-destruct from oil starvation issues and/or intermediate shaft issues.

My 2008 RRS S\C and FFRR continue to be the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, and that includes a 2003 Lexus GX470 that we had for four years.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, from what I've observed, a lot of new owners who buy into the Land Rover brand, tend to trash even the smallest issue. They may be less forgiving when they get these survey's in the mail. Also, these other car makers listed make hundreds of thousands of cars a year, and since that number is so high, complaints gets diluted, and that percentage shrinks when compared to the insanely high baseline number, whereas LR makes a third less vehicles and when surveyed, and that number gets skewed because it's a more focused effort.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72