Johnson Rod lift problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed the johnson lift on my 07 lr3, put some Goodyear 32" tires on it. Turned it on and raised it up, looked good. Next day went out of town for a week amd when I came back it was sitting on bumper (not uncommon when it sits ll the air usually leaks) battery was dead, jumped it and not it says special programs off and will not raise at all...
Any ideas?

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your system was leaking air previously then your air compressor may need replacement. That's generally the most common cause with leaking air. Not sure why after the dead battery the computer did not reset itself with the jump, however, this is a function of the computer system not the rod lift. I'm sure someone has encountered this on the forum and can help out.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try replacing the battery and make sure you have a good ground connection.

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to manually reset the computer? I took the battery out and fully charged it ten put it back in with same error. I can't drive it to the dealer to get it checked out. I'm also worried they won't touch the airbags because I "modified" it voiding my warranty.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below are some instructions on how to do a hard reset. I am concerned however that your battery may be too weak and still the cause of the problem. How old is it?

As such, you might try what is called a hard reset. The purpose of that is to remove/clear/erase some of the trouble codes that have built up in the various recording systems. One hears stories of the systems being so full of codes from a previous fault that even if the vehicle has been fixed, the trouble sensing systems keeps tripping over the old codes. That is why dealers will clear fault codes after "fixing" a problem.

Unfortunately, not all codes can be cleared via a hard reset - many codes can only be cleared with the T4 or a Faultmate however it costs nothing to try the procedure and sometimes it works.

Also if you have a volt meter, I would keep a watch on the battery voltage across the + and - terminals of your new battery when the 3 is shut down - and particularly in the morning before you start up just to see if voltage is being drained overnight.

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc.
It is often a good idea to have a window rolled down and the key in your pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the battery.

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable, (NOT the battery). You will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge, AWG, stranded copper), wire to do this as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for them to touch each other.

Hold them together for about a minute or so, (some say 5 to 10 minutes); you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere.

Reattach positive terminal to the battery.
Reattach negative terminal to the battery.

Start engine and hopefully no warning lights.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re hard reset.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep us posted. This type of failure is near and dear to many of our hearts as we run various forms of the rod-mod and 32" tires. ...curious to know if the hard reset solves the problem...

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I tried to hard reset with no luck, battery seems good stars right up each time, I am going to take it to be tested tomorrow before I have it towed in. I also checked the fuses all are good. I have read about people readying the height sensor? Could that be it? Kinda running out of ideas an time, thanks for your help so far. I'm going to put back on the originals rods just so they dont have a reason to say they can't do it.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an odd problem, yet I don't think it would be due to the rods as I have had mine on for about 15k miles with no issues. As they say each Landy is different. I'd go with the steps given above.

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I don't think its the physical rods, they are great. but can the car detect a different ride height and throw a warning light? anyone else have that problem?

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but can the car detect a different ride height and throw a warning light?

Of course it can. You are now requesting an increase in volume and psi to the airbags from the computer which controls the compressor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72