Just Bought 2011 LR4 Driving Cross Country

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylancmj

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time Land Rover owner. Super excited. Bought a 2011 LR4 with 130k miles. Driven it 60 or so miles thus far and it runs great. It does have a check engine light on that I need to pull the code on (do these use the OBD IIs?), dealer said they would fix it if it didn’t clear. Taking it to an import place I’ve taken other cars on Monday as they could look at it and no Land Rover specific repair shops could in time. My primary question is what should I be looking for or doing to prep for this trip? It’s a one owner super clean looking car (meticulous inside and out), carfax doesn’t give me much so not sure on service history. But one owner (according to carfax) seems promising. Thanks for any help! Dylan

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want to know what to do to prepare for a trip to a mechanic to have a code pulled?

Is the dealer you bought it from paying for whatever the code finds?

If it's an engine code and not a suspension fault, you can just go to any run of the mill auto parts chain and they'll read the codes for you. Take that code, do a google search (or search this forum), and figure out what the deal is.

In the meantime, you're goin to want an iiD tool from GAP Diagnostic. It's probably pricier than you are expecting, but it's the most valuable tool you can have as an out-of-warranty Land Rover owner.

Dylancmj

Reaction score
Thx. I’ll look for that code reader, so the cheap OBD II I have won’t work I’m guessing? I guess what I’m asking for is should I have the mechanic be looking for anything in particular on this model before we drive it 5000 miles?

I also have a few more questions in general:
1. How do I get music to play via cell phone through USB or the Ipod connector? We have iPhones and the truck doesn’t recognize them.
2. Posting some pictures, are these damaged items easy to fix? Also the brown tape on the left of the front windshield- is that for defrost?
3. Cool features? The truck is so tricked out I’m wondering what folks’ favorite hidden features are that we might not even notice or know how to use?
4. We need to put a ski rack on it. From
Reading other threads Im assuming it’s best to order straight from Land Rover for the rails? Also are there any set ups where you could have a platform for camping in summer and switch to skis in winter?

Thanks for any help!

Dylan

Dylancmj

Reaction score
-Brown tabs left of windshield (what’s going on here?)
-Broken plastic on shifter area when in park (hard to repair? Junk yard parts?)
-Broken plastic cover key area on drivers door. (hard to repair? Junk yard parts?)

Attachments

• B486EBC3-990C-4445-8AAD-AF83883FF4C4.jpeg
    B486EBC3-990C-4445-8AAD-AF83883FF4C4.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 661CAB21-A188-46D6-AF1C-489CCB4D308B.jpeg
    661CAB21-A188-46D6-AF1C-489CCB4D308B.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 78
  • A5636FE7-ED67-4588-A804-36B01BA12F72.jpeg
    A5636FE7-ED67-4588-A804-36B01BA12F72.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 78

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your cross country trip, make sure the battery and alternator are strong. These cars are sensitive to low voltage. If you get into much rain, check the front footwells frequently. The roof drains can leak into the footwells and wet out some of the electronics. The other main leave-you-stranded type issues that come to mind are the plastic coolant crossover pipes (front and rear) and timing chains. You can have your indy listen for timing chain noise. Not much you can do about the crossovers except change them out if they weren’t changed out in the past- but probably not enough time to do that before your trip. When they start leaking, they tend to leak big and can cause catastrophic overheating very quickly. Just search up coolant crossover on this forum to learn more.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
You can remove the A pillar by pulling off the "air bag" plastic plate to reveal t30 bolts to tuck in the brown tabs.

The shifter, unfortunately that's a "new" shifter. And whatever you do, do NOT get any liquid in there.

Third pic, someone posted a part number.

As for the obd2, get the gap tool. It's a must have. An alternative would be an Autel AP200, but there's nothing compared to the gap tool as far as portability, functionality, and price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV