Key battery / e-brake warning oddity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to report a weird incident in case others come across it. I hope it's nothing.

As you probably know, we don't drive our LR4 often (typically 5-7k miles per year), and now it's just once or twice a week since COVID hit and on pace for ~3k miles this year.

Some months ago, I got a low battery warning for the key. No big deal. I dragged my feet a bit but eventually replaced it. Weirdly, the low batt warning didn't go away. I did put in a new battery, but it had been purchased a couple or few years back, so I thought perhaps it wasn't the freshest. Oddly though, on the rare instances we used the back up key, the warning would also stay on. That battery had also been replaced.

Last week, fed up with the warning, I replaced the battery before driving out. Voltage on old battery (that I had installed a few months ago): 2.98V. Not that bad. I figured the LR4 is very sensitive to low voltage. Voltage on new battery (from same, non-fresh batch from where the battery being removed came from): 3.17V. OK then, I think. This should fix the problem.

Annoyingly, the low battery warning persisted as I drove to Home Depot 5 miles away. I figured maybe it needed time to clear itself. I stopped paying attention to the warning (I had gotten used to it over the last few months) and halfway on my way back, the dash lights up with a few warnings. I was in the middle of a tricky spot avoiding a driver that was making a sudden move but I did see something along the lines of e-brake malfunction in red with a couple of other amber warnings. LR4 kept driving perfectly fine and within 5 seconds it was all gone. No warnings at all, including the low battery warning. For the record, my e-brake has always worked very well. I used to use it a lot but now I use it less after I found out how expensive/difficult it is to service.

That's all. Long story with little value, probably, but there you have it.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalking this up as the latest entry in the "It's a Land Rover Thing" wiki.

In all seriousness I think it's helpful to report odd stuff like this because eventually it helps us connect the dots. Examples include brake switches and hood latch switches and clocks that suddenly switch to 24-hr time...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72