Key Fob Destroyed - Car is not worth cost of key - Alternative way to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
I've posted about my 2006 LR3 before, and how much I simply hate the car. Nevertheless, it is sitting in the middle of my driveway, can't start it because the key fob is wrecked. I have the key, the fob is beyond repair. I'm not towing this piece of crap anywhere to get it fixed, let alone pay hundreds to have a key made, programmed (blessed, sent on vacation, whatever they do)

There simply must be another way to start the car. In the alternative, if anyone wants to buy this entire vehicle for $1750, it's yours, because I believe it is the most stupidly complicated overpriced piece of crap I have ever been embarrassed enough to admit I purchased. Only reason I'm asking $$ for it is because it has 4 new tires.

IT IS LITERALLY SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DRIVEWAY - it is not the battery to the fob, the fob is destroyed. There simply must be a way around this, no matter how ugly.

Last edited:

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eBay Key (Remote Keyless Flip Uncut Key Fob 315MHz PCF7941 Chip): $17

Swap blade from your old fob: Free

Program with your GAP IIDTool: Free

If you don't have access to a programmer, maybe a Good Samaritan near you can help for a 6-pack: $12

All in for $30 or less. Just have to wait for shipping.
Good luck!

(FYI: The above steps worked for me, to add a 2nd key, though I had my blank cut for free at the local Ford dealer)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tempting to take it off your hands as a parts rig....but I live too far away and already have 2 LR3s. Maybe your vehicle can hear your disparaging comments and is lashing out!

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if you get a new key programmed (or do it yourself with the GAp tool which I will get when I'm dragged kicking and screaming) do your old keys still work? We have some that will turn the lock, turn on the LR3 but won't actually start it, and give us a P0513. The dealer provided us with a new one when we bought her.

Oh, and if I was anywhere near the OP I'd buy it for the price he mentioned. Even though the brides LR3 ClemmyChristine has given me the short course in Rover maintenance we still love the beasts.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @Unusual-Auto there is a guy on another forum that is looking for a parts-vehicle. How serious are you? If you PM me your email, I can PM it to him on the other forum...unless you are also on www.landroverforums.com in which case you can find his recent post in the LR3 section and hit him up...

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There simply must be another way to start the car. In the alternative, if anyone wants to buy this entire vehicle for $1750, it's yours, because I believe it is the most stupidly complicated overpriced piece of crap I have ever been embarrassed enough to admit I purchased. Only reason I'm asking $$ for it is because it has 4 new tires.

I went through the same thing when my fob disintegrated. I made the mistake of ordering a replacement fob on the Internet. The local Land Rover repair tried to program it and when they couldn't I tried to send it back for a refund. Guess what? I was told that they only way that they could return it was for it to be in "original" condition. When they tried to program it, it modified the code.

Unusual-Auto

Reaction score
Tow to the dealer. Order key. program key. 5 days for them to do it and $500.

The emperor has no clothes. I am completely serious to dump this piece of **** if someone wants it.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gnomad the old key will work if you program a new key fob. Discos had a limited number of keys that could be programmed but I believe the LRs can have multiple. I bought my FOB from the dealer and programmed it my self with the Nanocom, same as a GAP or whatever. I was at the point of selling my LR3 a few months ago when I couldn't get a suspension fault fixed but I finally found the solution and have been happily motoring for six months now. Knock on wood and notwithstanding that my gas gauge stopped working again. Best of luck with it.

vic7780

Reaction score
remebeer5, what was the resolution to your suspension fault

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi