Key turning round and round but not starting.

Discussion in 'Discovery' started by Ann Edwards, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Ann Edwards

Ann Edwards New Member

My Landrover discovery SE 7 with 85,000 Miles is not starting. I’m not very experienced with cars but as I’ve had to abandon it in a bad place I was going to try this forum.
    The car has had lots of other work done on it recently. The key was difficult to turn in the ignition but would turn if you pulled the key out very slightly.
    Today it started turning round and round but not starting the engine. It’s not engaging at all.

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Sadly it sounds like the switch assembly itself has gone bad (I haven't seen it spin around before), but I have seen them get gummed up and not turn at all. Sadly if it is spinning you will need a new switch.

3. Ann Edwards

Ann Edwards New Member

Thank you. It is at the landrover shop being fixed. You were correct. Would have liked to have fixed it myself for once.

4. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Full Access Member

Low mileage for year, must be a around town vehicle having many starts hence ignition lock failure. Being dry and hard turning the key causing worn out failures.
    I recall the new ignition lock "must be programmed" hence added expense to a costly lock adding labor profits $$$$$$.
    My 95 D1 ignition failed at 67K miles 6 1/2 years old.
    PO sold it at 5/60K end of lease with 7/100K extended warranty coverage hence covered less copay.
    Older vehicles the 50's & 60's era I have with no electronic alarm BS, liquid graphite lube works great given 60 years old with like new function.
    Newer like the Rover's with a lot of electronic contacts inside the switch, do not use graphite as it might cause electrical voltage leakage problems.
    I use silicone spray with the thin tube spraying deep inside the key slot has been the trick. Smooth easy lock rotation 21 years later and counting at 144K miles use.
    Prost......~~=o&o>.......

5. SteveLK8Parts

SteveLK8Parts Member

Discovery 2 Ignition switches with 2 keys are now available aftermarket LK8 Brand... Forum member price is $80 delivered... Feel free to email.

1.jpg