L319 vs. L462...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20181001_112740_8822222.jpg

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Ford Explorer. :D

Where?
The D5 is an amazing vehicle, drive one you will like it.
Along your lines of argument every vehicle now with soft body lines, and a large butt can be considered a Ford Explorer. When a Ford Explorers come with niceties, and can do 1/3 as much then I will consider your description valid.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just can't do it. I get that it has most of the capabilities of the LR4 but it looks like a XC90 and a Ford Explorer had a baby. I see them from all the wrong angles to appreciate that look.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just can't do it. I get that it has most of the capabilities of the LR4 but it looks like a XC90 and a Ford Explorer had a baby. I see them from all the wrong angles to appreciate that look.

It's not a matter of the D5 having "most" of the capabilities of the LR4.
It is the most capable Land Rover ever built. It is better than the LR4, concerning capability, in every way in stock form.

I am a long term LR4 owner and have vowed that we will only part upon one of ours unrepairable death.
However I have driven a few stock D5's in some very technical situations, at various LR events and outings with friends, and they have outperformed my semi-built LR4 everytime.
Not an easy thing to admit.
I am not a fan of the looks of the D5, they are not horrible but could be better. Properly kitted, like the Lucky8 D5 can change a few a few minds :)
The same argument was had about the LR3... now LR4 styling back in the early 2000s. However it is now considered a piece of the LR heritage. The D5 will eventually be there too.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of the D5 having "most" of the capabilities of the LR4.
It is the most capable Land Rover ever built. It is better than the LR4, concerning capability, in every way in stock form.

Sadly, I have to completely agree. Based on driving a D5 loaner and my LR4 in deep sand on the beach, the D5 wins, no contest. Trying to go uphill in sand I can feel my LR4 sinking as it tries to maintain traction. Felt like the D5 was just floating on the sand with perfect traction. Sure it's lighter, but the low traction launch control is just better. New terrain response II is simply better.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great! give me the capability in a better looking package. I had a D1 and loved it. Hated that i let it go because of a lucas gremlin. To me that is still the best looking Land Rover. But i will be raptly watching what happens with the Defender when it is reintroduced

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, my wife begs me to get another Disco all the time, I just can't do it unless it is a 2nd spare car because I know how much shop time the first one needed, but I did like driving it more than my LR3 for sure.

The Discovery is just not growing on me - I am hopeful for the new Defender, but the Bronco is coming back, so at least there may be an old school alternative if Land Rover fails us....

DavidSG

Reaction score
I kind of dig the looks of the D5. Yeah, not as rugged / iconic as the LR4, but certainly looks more refined and solidly built compared to an Explorer, in its own quirky way.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where?
The D5 is an amazing vehicle, drive one you will like it.
Along your lines of argument every vehicle now with soft body lines, and a large butt can be considered a Ford Explorer. When a Ford Explorers come with niceties, and can do 1/3 as much then I will consider your description valid.

I drove one. I did not like it as it felt like I was sitting in a bathtub. The tailgate opening is beyond ridiculous and the meaningless offset licence plate mounting is awful. Why do people keep comparing this to a Ford Explorer? The D5 is $30k more expensive than a mid Explorer (Canada) . For that price it better have a few more niceties. We should be comparing this to a Land Cruiser.

Personally I am waiting for a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a big ol proper V8.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA