Land Rover LR4 2015 keeps entering valet mode on its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guessers

Reaction score
Hello all,
I purchased a used Land Rover 2015 LR4 early in 2022, and it's been an amazing ride. However, recently, the vehicle enters valet mode on its own, and I can no longer access any of the navigation or audio functionalities as a result.

I usually take it to the dealer, and they reset the valet mode from their systems; however, this continues to happen every few drives. I noticed is it seems to happen if I turn off the car and turn it on again (i.e. within a thirty-minute span, such as a quick visit to a store). Is there a way I can prevent this from happening, or will I need to take it to a Land Rover dealership to inspect it?

The dealers I purchased the vehicle from mentioned that it is unusual behaviour. I also had both batteries replaced with OEM batteries from Land Rover.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what computer takes care of this, is it the head unit that also contains the CD/DVD player? I swapped out one of these for one that I found for $105 on ebay; if you're a DIYer this may be worth a try; it fixed my radio issues! Overall process is not too bad and there are plenty of videos out there that walk you through the process.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post has a link to the videos I used to pull out the radio unit:

One big tip that really helps with the two side panels (right one shown):

1676301800345.png

Is to move the gear selector back to drive, remove the cup holder and undo the screws that keeps the center console area secure; moving this center console assembly back helps release these two side panels.

Guessers

Reaction score
Do you have another key fob that you can try?
Yes, I tried starting the car with both key fobs I have, but it still starts in valet mode for me.
Curious what computer takes care of this, is it the head unit that also contains the CD/DVD player? I swapped out one of these for one that I found for $105 on ebay; if you're a DIYer this may be worth a try; it fixed my radio issues! Overall process is not too bad and there are plenty of videos out there that walk you through the process.
It still uses the stock radio that comes with the vehicle (the one with the CD player). I did install an android audio/carplay box which I purchased from Aliexpress; however, I installed this right after purchasing the vehicle, and the valet mode issues only recently came up. I am familiar with removing the radio unit, so I could do this change if needed.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I tried starting the car with both key fobs I have, but it still starts in valet mode for me.

It still uses the stock radio that comes with the vehicle (the one with the CD player). I did install an android audio/carplay box which I purchased from Aliexpress; however, I installed this right after purchasing the vehicle, and the valet mode issues only recently came up. I am familiar with removing the radio unit, so I could do this change if needed.
Sounds good, it's not a terrible job! I have photos of my unit but I have a DVD should you need help identifying the basics of the unit.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try this procedure to deactivate the valet mode:

A. When you re-enter the vehicle, select Valet.
B. Enter your memorable 4 digit PIN and touch the OK button. Valet mode deactivated is displayed, to indicate that a PIN has been accepted.

The luggage compartment will return to the previously set security requirement.
The Touch screen will be enabled

Guessers

Reaction score
You can try this procedure to deactivate the valet mode:

A. When you re-enter the vehicle, select Valet.
B. Enter your memorable 4 digit PIN and touch the OK button. Valet mode deactivated is displayed, to indicate that a PIN has been accepted.

The luggage compartment will return to the previously set security requirement.
The Touch screen will be enabled
Unfortunately, I never did set up a pin. Valet mode randomly turns on when the car boots, without me turning on valet mode and entering a pin. However, I did visit the dealership to have it reset. They mentioned they entered a new pin. Hopefully, this pin works if valet mode re-engages.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you try explicitly entering valet mode and setting a pin, and then exiting valet mode - basically toggle it on then off?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA