Land Rover oil filter seal leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PWD2

Reaction score
I had oil leak from new land rover OEM filter shortly after an oil change on my LR3. The filter was tight but still leaking. I am told by a knowledgeable Land Rover mechanic that this is not unusual. The rubber seal they use is a bit skimpy. He recommends using Bosch filters.

May be Land Rover should look into this and make sure the quality of their OEM parts match their high price !!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same experience. Over the life of my 2005 LR3 which is now at about 205K miles, it has occurred 3 times.

My mechanic does say the filter quality itself is very good, and continues to use these filters over other brands.

So, as it is I just don't plan an oil change the day before I leave for a road trip. I always find it leaking inside of a day if there is an issue. This has happened 4 times, actually, but the 4th time it was not screwed on tight.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After Lr dealer **** ups with Genuine filter I decided to use a K&N 1014 and all is good for the 200 000 miles so far.i change oil every 3500 miles .

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just happened to me! Mine was replaced 2 months ago and I just noticed this yesterday. Maybe it was small and the shield was capturing it all and then it finally got worse. I'll be watching the filter more closely from now on!

Damn, and I just had my driveway sealed 3 months ago. Kinda like the first scratch on a new vehcicle, it just bothers you even though you know it is inevitable! :frown:

Attachments

• 20160107_092151.jpg
    20160107_092151.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20160107_093011.jpg
    20160107_093011.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 16

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The very first time I went to a dealer for a oil change .I realized that if I won't do it myself , in the future , there will be no future with my LR3.
I drove home , after an oil change and knowing me , i poked around and under for a possible errors.Glad , that I did , as I realized, that I have lost over a quart of oil , somewhere on the NJ Parkway(40 miles of driving back from the dealer ).
Went under the truck and there it was , completely loose oil filter , not even hand tighten.Called the manager and he blamed the gasket on the Genuine filter, that they had bad batch of them and so forth.At this point , I told him that filter was completely loose and i lost significant amount of oil from that .He apologized and offered next service free of charge, but I never set foot i that place again.Have been changing oil myself ever since, along with everything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV