Leaking crank seal on SCV6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at a 2016 and had it inspected. Found a leak from crank seal. I've never heard of that being an issue on these cars. Something to worry about other issues down the road? Or just a weird fluke ?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would really depend. If the 2016 has high mileage, may just be normal wear. If not, I would say maintenance may not have been a priority--crappy oil could degrade the seal itself or cause the crank bearings to wear allowing play of the crankshaft. It may be fun to convince the seller to allow your mechanic to drop the oil pan and inspect :)

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah only 55k so not a high mileage failure... so kind of raised an eyebrow. 4 service records on car fax so I’m thinking it’s had a couple of oil changes at least. Still, always a bit of a crapshoot with these cars.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you’d want to check compression as well. Could be piston rings going bad - excessive blow-by raising crankcase pressure. If it were me, I’d be passing on that car unless its a really good price.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe my V8 with 145k miles has (had) a very minor leak at the rear main seal as well. there is nothing else to leak in the area, so i have to assume it was this.

when I purchased the truck the joint between the trans bell housing and the engine was damp and had oil droplets forming. cleaned numerous times and it would always reappear.

i switched to valvoline maxlife high mileage synthetic oil and its now dry as a bone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi