Living up to its unreliable history

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdurwin

Reaction score
i just bought an LR4. Everyone warned me not to because they said they’re unreliable. In the first month that I’ve owned the car:
My transmission lines sprung a leak
The throttle was found to be full of buildup
One of the wipers came loose and stopped working
One of the wipers roped
One of the plastic side rails around the windshield fell off
The oxygen sensors keep going off

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had my 2013 since new approaching 80k miles with no issues.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also no issues in 3 years of 2013 ownership. 2 to 1, I guess LR4s are rock solid after all!!
Actually the only of OPs issues I've even heard of is the a pillar cover falling off. $2 worth of clips will fix that one.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the windshield was replaced and someone did not replace the clips on the outside A pillar piece - which SHOULD be done or they may eventually fail like they did. They probably did not secure the wipers properly when done either, so my guess is that it is all one related problem and not Land Rover's fault.

All throttle body's eventually need cleaning - not sure how many miles you have.

Have not seen much on D3/D4 oxygen sensors being a problem, but they certainly can eventually fail on any car.

Transmission lines leaking is unusual - unfortunately, buying a used car is always a crapshoot - some people pamper their cars and others abuse them and ditch them as soon as problems start to result.

The word unreliable lends itself to "mechanical breakdown" and honestly, most LR3/LR4's never let their owners sit. But, things do wear (such as suspension bushings, tie-rods, tires and brakes wear more quickly due to the overall weight). If you are going to keep it for a number of years, just plan on $2500 a year as an overall average cost of maintenance on these trucks. One year, nothing but an oil change, the next its tires, brakes, control arms, etc all at once!!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought an LR4. Everyone warned me not to because they said they’re unreliable. In the first month that I’ve owned the car:
My transmission lines sprung a leak
The throttle was found to be full of buildup
One of the wipers came loose and stopped working
One of the wipers roped
One of the plastic side rails around the windshield fell off
The oxygen sensors keep going off

You appear to have a prior owner issue and not a Land Rover issue.

What year is your LR4 and how much did you pay?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, what Ryanjl said.. It's not brand related- I inherited someone's nightmare in the form of a turbo Porsche and it took me over a year to get it straight..

Shoot us a year and mileage, and we can try to get you on the path to normality..

To add to Ryan's list:

Any maintenance records? Keeping that intake clean is important (the PO clearly did not), and might be your O2 problem as well.

I had drips from my transmission lines to the cooler- pointed it out to the dealer and 2 twists of the wrench- that was that.

I've got a feeling you might be behind on maintenance.. That list is far from serious, let's get you caught up before something really bad happens..

Mike

P.S. From your picture on the "Showoff your LR4" thread, I'm guessing a 2012? And how did you get that sun shade attached to your roof?:D

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011MY i’ve owned since late 2010. I’ve done a water pump, one suspension airbag on the passenger front side, a few brake jobs, and a seat belt that was ALL covered under the factory warranty. Outside of warranty knock on wood* i’ve done absolutly nothing lol. So far so good. I do change my oil frequently. I did tranny and differential fluids as well and i drive it hard, but not stupidly hard. My point is, if you take care of the vehicle it takes care of you. In your situation i think you have a combination of **** maintainance from the previous owner and a bit of bad luck. In no way is the 2011MY unreliable and troublesome in my opinion.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As noted above, 3 of your issues are due to poor windshield replacement. (Wiper installation and failure to use new trim clips under the panels on each side of the windshield)

We seldom see O2 sensor issues posted here. Maybe the previous owner used cheap gas. I never understand people that can afford a $60K vehicle but won't buy premium gas. Clean the throttle body, replace the O2 sensors and use top tier premium gas gong forward. (Mobil, Shell) You will probably never see this issue again.

eli4x4

Reaction score
I agree with everyone here, if you take care of your truck it will take care of you. Also by fixing all these Little issues you will learn more about you LR4, that's the best way to learn. And definitely Premium gas!

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the throttle body, replace the O2 sensors and use top tier premium gas gong forward. (Mobil, Shell) You will probably never see this issue again.
^^^ This. If you are not sure if your usual brand of fuel is Top Tier, confirm on the official website - here's a link:

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Extended use of cheap gas can cause all sorts of headaches with the fuel system.

:vollkomme

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA