Locked out!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little remodel project going on so I temporarily moved the LR3 out of the garage. Sitting in front of my house it is locked and will not respond to either key. I removed the driver side keyhole cover and both keys will turn both ways but neither will unlock the door...Can't get to the owners manual as it is in the glove box. Any ideas? Its been about a week and a half since I last drove it and it had a dead battery then (Three weeks since the last time I had driven it)

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI, RYAN
i don't really know what to tell you, I have a manual in my hands and it clearly stats , that one should insert the key into the slot in handle, remove the cap and use the key to unlock the car inserting fully into the slot in door turning clockwise and it should open , i think there is a 10 sec, window to insert key into ignition, before alarm goes off...I will investigate further ...keep trying, if you cannot open , you will have to make a tool and release front grill , remove it , open bonnet and then disconnect the battery...but let me tell you this is not fun...

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think, that emergency opening procedure only refers to vehicle , that does not recognize key fobs or when key fob,s battery is depleted. i don, think,now, that , it refers to situation, when one has a dead vehicle battery.'i remember reading about this situation on DISCO forum back in the day...this might complicate things a little...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give it another try tomorrow and if i strike out i will just call AAA

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not convinced the battery is dead. The alarm light is blinking in the instrument cluster just like normal.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these cars are super easy to break into. but this isnt breaking into so lets call it accessing your locked keys. remove any other door lock cap most likely it will break but its pretty cheap to replace. you will need a hook tool to hook a cable that runs inside the access hole on the door handle just give it a firm tug and the door will open, thats the cable to the door latch but about 60 percent of the time you end up damaging a zip tie that holds the cable in place but thats pretty easy to do. remember pull twords you a nice firm tug and it will open. i always do the rear passengers side door since its less of an eye sore if your going to hold on for a bit on purchasing that cap. good luck

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to remove that "how-to" post once this situation is resolved.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!!

Well my battery was dead. I had AAA come and open it/jump it for me and off I go!!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these cars are super easy to break into. but this isnt breaking into so lets call it accessing your locked keys. remove any other door lock cap most likely it will break but its pretty cheap to replace. you will need a hook tool to hook a cable that runs inside the access hole on the door handle just give it a firm tug and the door will open, thats the cable to the door latch but about 60 percent of the time you end up damaging a zip tie that holds the cable in place but thats pretty easy to do. remember pull twords you a nice firm tug and it will open. i always do the rear passengers side door since its less of an eye sore if your going to hold on for a bit on purchasing that cap. good luck
I'm interested in this because I have locked my keys in my car when I didn't have a spare FOB with me. (hey, with fobs that cost hundreds of dollars, it's not like we all have them taped underneath our frames).

Anyway, what do you mean by "remove any other door lock cap?" Remove what? There is only one key hole which is driver side. Do you mean to pull out the entire lock assembly? I can't think you mean that as whenever I see this done on a broken in car it is a pretty abusive event that bends the sheet metal.

Just wondering. In my case, I had left the sunroof cracked and was able to assemble a concoction with a fishing pole, plastic fork and metal knife that let me unlock the door. We first tried pushing the "unlock" button but after several attempts realized this button was disabled when the car was off.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my battery was dead. I had AAA come and open it/jump it for me and off I go!!

So, how did AAA open the door? Always interesting to hear what they do. The vehicle locksmiths usually have some neat tools to access the door latch inside the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV