Looking at an 04 D2

Discussion in 'Discovery' started by Luppercut, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Luppercut

Luppercut New Member

Hey all,

I’m new to this forum. I came here to seek some advice. I’m looking for a reliable camping/fishing/road trip vehical. In my search I’ve come across an 04 D2 with ~100k miles on it. In the past I owned a 92 RRC and the maintenance killed me. However, that was my daily. This D2 would be a weekender. I really lile LRs, but I want to be able to jump in something and know that is isn’t going to leave me stranded.

I was hoping the members here could share their experiences with this vintage discovery and perhaps point out some pitfalls to lookout for. Below is the carfax on the vehicle that I’m interested in. I learned from the original dealer that is had the engineer replaced in ‘08 at roughly 40k Miles. (Is that good or bad?) It has a bunch of bolt ons; arb bumper, warn winch, wheels, lift and some others. They are asking $12.5k for it.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=ATD_W

Thanks in advance.

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Although I really like the D2's for the money I personally would go for an LR3.

3. SteveLK8Parts

SteveLK8Parts Member

Yeah Joey is right in my opinion I love D2's but LR3's are one of the most reliable especially when maintenance is kept up.

4. bblake12nd

bblake12nd New Member

Run Run Run away, the maintenance will kill you and then the engine will fail. If the mileage is close to 100K the head gasket has probably already failed, if no it will very soon. Unless the purchase price is low enough to justify replacing the engine, pass on this one.

5. rally3

rally3 Member

At that price point you should be able to find a really nice LR3

6. remember5

remember5 Full Access Member

I agree with everyone, the LR3 is a much improved vehicle over the DII and for that price I agree also, you can find a really nice LR3 probably even kitted out.