Low oil pressure - cold start and taps at idle when hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spikeRovah

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been having a major problem since mid-December 2013 that I am still dealing with. If you have read my thread from ********************, you already know what this problem is.

Long story short, I replaced my original motor with a refreshed motor from Roverlandparts.com. The refreshed motor was told to have been checked thoroughly. They removed valve covers, oil pan, sump pick-up, timing cover, etc and cleaned up and replaced all gaskets.

After we installed the engine we were having big oil pressure problems. After the truck would sit over night there would be 0 oil pressure in the morning. If the truck was off more than a day we'd have to prime it to get any oil pressure.

We figured it was oil pump, so we replaced the gears with brand new gears. Same problem.

We then put the new gears in my original timing cover, since I never had this issue on my old engine, and we still had same problem.

We then dropped the oil pan and found no gasket on the sump pickup flange...we installed that and figured that was the issue. Nope. Same problem.

We were then sent a brand new front cover with a brand new oil pump from roverlandparts. We installed that, using grease to prime the pump. Oil pressure light when right out on first start.

The following day we tried to start the truck and oil light stayed on for about 5 seconds, the engine made noise, but then light went out and it quieted a bit. We shut it and started it again and light went right out.

So the new cover seems to have fixed the 'no oil pressure' issue, but now I still have low oil pressure on cold starts. I also feel like the truck is going to tap at idle still, very loudly. We haven't tested that again yet.

We literally tried everything and we are at our wits end. Only thing left is bearings, but roverland said they checked those.

I am using a WIX filter with 20W-50 Valvoline oil. Does anyone here know why this is happening or what I can do to fix this? I feel like it can't be internal damage, especially if roverland said they checked everything, and they have good reputation so I heard...

They are offering my full refund for the engine or they want to buy my truck from me...but honestly, I have incredible Rover Rash. I just love this truck and as much trouble as it is giving me, I really don't want to give it up. They are going to wind up turning him into an organ donor : (

I'd much rather try and fix this if I can...Any advice? I tried everything else...oil pump, cover, sump pick up, even the pressure relief valve. We literally tried everything.

And when the motor runs with oil pressure it sounds fantastic. No knocking and no tapping, until it gets hot at idle.

Here is a vid of my oil light on cold start...

97 Disco oil light - YouTube

And here is a vid of the tapping...sometimes it stops and starts again...thus it is being caused by oil pressure...

97 Land Rover Disco 1 Engine tap in spurts - YouTube

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should stop driving your truck and send me your number so we can talk and I will be glad to walk you thru what to check/replace.

spikeRovah

Reaction score
You should stop driving your truck and send me your number so we can talk and I will be glad to walk you thru what to check/replace.

PM sent, thanks man. I haven't been driving it, also. Just starting it up to check on the oil light. It's been sitting now.

spikeRovah

Reaction score
I have decided to send this engine back to rover land for my full refund. It has been more of a head ache than it is worth.

NOw to decide on if I want to over haul my old engine or get another...I do have my eye on one of these Atlantic British 4.0's ... http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9257ARHRK.cfm

Let me know what you guys think.

Doomsday

Reaction score
As long as the replacement engine has top hat liners, preventing future liner slippage issues, the engines should be good. PM me with the price you were quoted from them and I will see if I can get you a better price from them for you.

Cheers

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, have the sleeves pinned and that will take care of that also.

Doomsday

Reaction score
Yep! certainly another way to go. I don't know of anyone out here in the west that does that other than us. Where are you Mike? PM me with anyone you know that does good pinning work. Always nice to know where help is.

spikeRovah

Reaction score
As long as the replacement engine has top hat liners, preventing future liner slippage issues, the engines should be good. PM me with the price you were quoted from them and I will see if I can get you a better price from them for you.

Cheers

Replacement has flanged sleeves.

I will PM you. Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV