Lowest possible low profile slider for rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having gotten rid of my van, my LR4 now serves as cargo vehicle for my band's PA. Which includes a subwoofer that is 3'x3'x2' and weighs about 160 pounds.

The total cubic footage of the gear basically fills the entire rear of the LR4, and that subwoofer in particular is really tough to get in and out. You kind of have to lean it up against the tailgate, and then upend the whole thing. Which for one guy is a bit of a chore.

Then you still have to get it inside from there. Whether it's lying flat or on one edge, that's difficult. I started thinking about getting a sheet of thick enough steel to not bend too much, then mounting some ball transfer bearings in strategic positions to let that whole sheet roll in and out.

But before I do something extreme like that, I'm wondering if there is someone who's done something similar without raising the floor by over an inch in height?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you happened to have the xlifter, you could drop the rear to bump stops while raising the front all that way, to get the tailgate as low as possible, too. Guess you could do it with the iid tool too.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thoughts, @ftillier I had toyed with getting some thin teflon sheets, but they're pretty pricey. And I think I'd need two of whatever I got to make it work. I'll look into the Delrin idea.
EDIT: looks like Delrin isn't that much cheaper, honestly.
I might be able to get a custom-cut tray of stainless for about the same price, and put that on rollers. I suspect it would work better than the plastic slides...but IDK.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV