LR 4 model years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baden

Reaction score
So I've heard the 2013 Disco 4 seems to be more reliable compared to other model years...is this true? Thinking about buying a used 13 Disco with 75k or less miles. Anybody have any thoughts?

Baden

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to LR4 section for better response.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've heard the 2013 Disco 4 seems to be more reliable compared to other model years...is this true? Thinking about buying a used 13 Disco with 75k or less miles. Anybody have any thoughts?

Baden

I can only speak to the North American spec which we know as the LR4. Are you in the UK or Oz? If so some of this may not apply; I’m not 100% certain...

The 2013 NAS LR4 is considered by many to have the best of the 5.0L Jag engines because in this model year the tension guides for the timing chains were improved. And it’s the last of the V8s in the L319 lineup. So to many of us this means a bit less anxiety about expensive timing chain repairs. However in speaking with my independent mechanic (a master LR tech prior to opening his own shop), he just laughs when I express confidence in my 2013 timing chains. He says he still sees LR4s coming in for this repair. The key seems to be frequent oil changes with top quality synthetic oil. You can find all of this info in a forum search in this sub forum.

The 2013 MY still consumes brakes, tires, and lower control arms like any other model year. Still has abysmal MPG. Still expensive parts if you go OEM. It still has issues with its water pump and coolant pipes on the front and back of the engine. But these are known items so conscientious maintenance (and budgeting) will help avoid surprises.

Everything is relative. “more reliable” than other model years is arguably true. No guarantee of course, especially when you start talking about preowned vehicles and unknown service histories. I have had a very good ownership experience with my preowned 2013. I bought it with 30K miles on it and have put another 50K on it in 3 yrs and it has been fantastic. I had a 2011 LR4 prior to this one and it was also mostly good until I hit 100K and my mechanic recommended switching it out, which I did. Good luck with the search as well-kept LR4s even in that mileage range are getting tougher to find, and 2013’s in particular for reasons mentioned.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you were located in Ohio. I made an assumption based on how you referred to the LR4 as a Disco 4. I usually do that when I’m talking on IG to an owner outside of North America.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that as well. However, as a counterpoint, you can still find examples of the 2013 5.0 and the newer V6 guys needing to replace chains/tensioners as well.

You pays your money, and you take your chances. I would tell anyone considering one of these vehicles that if needing to swap the chains at some point would be a deal killer for you, then you are better off with a 4Runner.

On a humorous note, I spoke to a dealer tech who by his own admission has done more timing chain jobs than he can count. He said he recently had a 2010 in for a chain job and got it broken down and the VVT sprockets had no timing marks on them. That must have a been a fun time to get back together.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see the V6 engine as being less reliable as compared to the V8 based on everything I’ve read in these and other forums. But, the V8 is a little easlier to work on. Pulling the supercharger off everytime you need to get into the top of the engine is a PITA. And, the V8 has a little more power - the trade off for a couple MPG was not worth moving to a supercharger, in my opinion. But the supercharged V6 still has plenty of power for the truck and runs/drives great.

The tricky part about the V6 models is that low-range gearing and locking diffs were no longer standard, so you need to be more careful about what you’re buying. Not sure about the 2013 LR4.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issue: Finicky V8 has good output but has some glass jaw components (plastic cooling junk and timing guides) and requires better fuel economy.

LR solution: Add more moving parts to finicky engine and create less power. Retain plastic parts and blank off two cylinders. Gain 1 MPG maybe (or was it the new 8sp transmission?)

Sad.

What they should have done was make known failure points more robust and bolt that 8speed behind the V8.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issue: Finicky V8 has good output but has some glass jaw components (plastic cooling junk and timing guides) and requires better fuel economy.

LR solution: Add more moving parts to finicky engine and create less power. Retain plastic parts and blank off two cylinders. Gain 1 MPG maybe (or was it the new 8sp transmission?)

Sad.

What they should have done was make known failure points more robust and bolt that 8speed behind the V8.

Didn't they do that on the 2013 FFRR? The one year with the V8 and the 8 speed?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi