LR3 Break-In Period???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

KurtLR3

LR3 break-in period....could i floor it .. or do any aggressive driving? My LR3 is coming in next wednsday and wanted to see its capabilities on-road once i get my hands on it. Thanks!!!

X

xcursion

I would go easy on the first 500 or 600 miles. Nothing aggressive but vary your speed and environment. Let all the parts have a chance to work but don't ware them out. You can certainly go off road, but same idea, go easy and vary your driving.

A

alanmeyer

xcursion said:
And almost forgot, get that oil change after 600 miles.

My salesman told me that there is no scheduled maintenance until after 7500 miles? Doesn't that include the first oil change as well?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First is at 6 months or 7500 miles. Old school thought was to make a change soon after purchase, to "flush the bad bits out." This was more necessary when "breaking in an engine" really meant it. Times have changed...

Of course, I changed mine at 1500 miles. Because I'm set in my ways... even though I know it's pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:

LR3Novice

Reaction score
LR3 Break-In Period

I also believe in "breaking in an engine" so I took precautions and went easy on my LR3 for the first 1000 miles or so and just had my engine oil changed at the LR dealer (charged me $130 for the oil change as the maintenance warranty only covers the scheduled oil changes; the first at 6 month/7500 miles). Is this really the price you all paid to have the oil changed?
Also on another thread in the forum, there was a discussion about "Synthetic oil", the new oil in my truck is Mobil 1 synthetic, and I hope this is a good oil to use after the initial 1000 mile break-in period. This is a question to all the engine oil buffs out there please comment.
Further since I was going to the dealer to get the oil changed, I also asked the dealer to perform a wheel alignment based on the TSB issued by LR regarding uneven tire wear. The dealer was very cooperative regarding performing the alignment to match the TSB specifications under warranty. Thanks to this forum I was made aware of the tire issue and hopefully with this wheel alignment I might be able to avoid the replacement of tires at 15K-20K miles as some of our unfortunate brethren had to due to uneven tire wear.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3Novice said:
....just had my engine oil changed at the LR dealer (charged me $130 for the oil change as the maintenance warranty only covers the scheduled oil changes...

Holy crap! Not having had to pay for one yet, I'm going to have to check!

I usually do it myself, but not having a lift or jacks, I usually do it if its a quick job with hand tools. My impression with the LR3 is that I may have to take off some rock shields and such to get to the filter and oil plug. The extra work (time is $!) will probably have me taking it to someone else....

As basic as changing the oil may be, has anyone done a step by step guide on changing the LR3 oil yourself?

Wayfarer

Reaction score
I paid $75 including the various taxes. Still think that's about $30 too much.

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my manual said for the 1st 1000km that RPM's should be low and no stomping on the gas.

it was in the index listing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV