LR3 command shift stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I've read a similar post on this board or another....a while back.

Mike Miller

Reaction score
Anybody every figure out the issue with the command shift not working other than replacing the whole shifter assembly?

Kyle Gustafson

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the part numbers are interchangeable? I have a ucb500072. Am I able to replace this withe a ucb500071? or an ucb500070?

Mike Miller

Reaction score
I replaced my ucb500070 with ucb500072, so I'd say they are interchangeable. I had the same issues, no codes LR3 acted like command shift didn't exist. I went through all the forum, tried everything and nothing worked. Finally looked at the wiring diagram for the vehicle. Go underneath the vehicle on the passenger side right above the gear shift linkage you will see a wire bundle that plugs into the transmission for the TCM I think. Pin 1 is the very top wire, it controls the sport/manual mode of the vehicle. I undid the connector and inspected it. All was good. Reattached it and wiggled the wires a bit. That solved my problem. I suspect its just bad wiring connectors on Land Rovers part. Go under and wiggle that wire bundle, make sure you try to wiggle the very top one. I suspect that will probably solve the majority of issues everybody has with the sport/manual (command shift) mode.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you and good suggestion let me give that a try before I replace the shifter assembly again!

I replaced my ucb500070 with ucb500072, so I'd say they are interchangeable. I had the same issues, no codes LR3 acted like command shift didn't exist. I went through all the forum, tried everything and nothing worked. Finally looked at the wiring diagram for the vehicle. Go underneath the vehicle on the passenger side right above the gear shift linkage you will see a wire bundle that plugs into the transmission for the TCM I think. Pin 1 is the very top wire, it controls the sport/manual mode of the vehicle. I undid the connector and inspected it. All was good. Reattached it and wiggled the wires a bit. That solved my problem. I suspect its just bad wiring connectors on Land Rovers part. Go under and wiggle that wire bundle, make sure you try to wiggle the very top one. I suspect that will probably solve the majority of issues everybody has with the sport/manual (command shift) mode.

Redduck

Reaction score
I realize that this is an old thread, but for the value of those who come here looking for answers, I wanted to share my experience:
I recently purchased a 2007 LR3 SE with 110K on the odometer. It had the following issues:

1- Transmission fault would appear in dash message when I turned off the vehicle
2- On the shifter (center console) the light that illuminated which gear you where in was always stuck on Drive
3- The command shift did not work - I could not manually put it in 1st, 2nd or any other gear. It operated fine in automatic.

After reading this thread, I did the following:
1- Removed the shifter to inspect for corrosion. There was none as this was a California vehicle and had no weather related issues
2- Based on other comments in this thread, I deducted that the issue was the Shifter module itself (not the plate)

As of the date of this posting, these shifters are not available new. They are even scarce as a used unit, but I also didn't want to replace it with a unit that may repeat the same issues anytime soon.
I found a refurbished module at Rover Land Parts dot com https://www.roverlandparts.com/2005-2008-lr3-transmission-shifter.aspx for a reasonable price.

The entire process took less than an hour. I did not replace the shifter cable so I just disconnected the end of the cable from the shifter.
I found this Youtube video on removing the shifter helpful as well:
Installing the replacement Shifter Module solved all three issues instantly. I am now driving with a smile!

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue and saw that my board had corrosion and one of the pins had broken off in the harness. I got the pin out with a scriber and took the board to a local electronics repair shop. The whole connector is a generic unit and he ordered one for I think like $24 and charged me $50 to solder it on to the board but everything works fine now, that was probably a year ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72